Zest
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Zest »

JustDroobles wrote:
Zest wrote:Is the formula to find frequency wavespeed/wavelength or 1/cycle duration, or both?
Yes.

For all waves, where v is velocity (or as you said, wavespeed), f is frequency, λ is wavelength, and T is period (or as you said "cycle duration"):

v=fλ

f=1/T
got it, thanks!
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

Zest wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:There is actually a rules clarification on templates in Optics. I dislike the loose construction of the S.O. "constitution", but I suppose it's what they feel is best.
Do you know where I can find the clarification?
http://soinc.org/node/617
Zest

Post by Zest »

does anyone have the answer key for the texas 2011 regionals test (from the test exchange)?
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

that's a division B test right?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Zest

Post by Zest »

I believe so
Zest

Post by Zest »

Zest wrote:
chalker wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote: There's nothing in the rules that really suggests that they should be allowed, anyway.
Everyone tends to forget about (or ignore) the General Rules that apply to all events (which are mentioned at the top of EVERY page in the rules manual and are listed on the inside back cover). The General Rules are also available at: http://soinc.org/ethics_rules

Please note in particular #2: "Unless otherwise stated, it is generally understood that if notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not excluded, then they are permitted unless they violate the spirit of the problem."

That rule guides a lot of the responses we generate to questions submitted on soinc.org, and is a big part of why templates are allowed this year.
so, if I'm interpreting this correctly, you are able to bring anything that is not forbidden even if it is not listed?
if this is true, then what type of template is being reffered to? I've just been using rulers and protracters to complete the laser shoot.
So... does anyone know? Does this mean that we can bring things that are not listed and are not directly forbidden?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Zest wrote:does anyone have the answer key for the texas 2011 regionals test (from the test exchange)?
I do (since I wrote the test;), but I have a general policy of not providing answer keys to my tests. I think the learning experience is better if you have to work through the questions and feel confident in the answers, rather then just skimming them over. That said, I will answer questions about specific items on the test if there are ambiguities or confusion about them.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker

Post by chalker »

smartkid222 wrote:that's a division B test right?
Actually it's a combined B & C division test. The regional was pretty small and I only wrote the test (wasn't there to proctor it). Thus I felt it would be better for everyone to have only 1 test for both divisions. The scores in the B division were a bit lower than the C division, which is to be expected.

Student Alumni
chalker

Post by chalker »

Zest wrote:
Zest wrote:
so, if I'm interpreting this correctly, you are able to bring anything that is not forbidden even if it is not listed?
if this is true, then what type of template is being reffered to? I've just been using rulers and protracters to complete the laser shoot.
So... does anyone know? Does this mean that we can bring things that are not listed and are not directly forbidden?
That is not a correct interpretation. The Optics rules explicitly state what MAY be brought. We've made a decision that a template that fits in the binder is a reference material and thus falls under the reference material clause. The spirit of the rule for Optics is obviously that anything not listed may NOT be brought.

Student Alumni
zapofdoom34
Division: C
State: CA

Post by zapofdoom34 »

Are we allowed to put tabs in our Optics binder?

Return to “2011 Lab Events”