Dynamic Planet B/C

quadratic
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by quadratic »

4 sheets was way too much
3.14159265358979323846264338327905 from memory.
I AM THE ASSASSINATOR
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS
Been thanked: 0

Post by FullMetalMaple »

quadratic wrote:4 sheets was way too much
Perhaps, especially since I tend to cram information into 6-point Arial Narrow font. I got all my Protein Modeling notes on one page, and we're allowed 5 front and back in that event.
IdahoSciGuy
State: ID

Post by IdahoSciGuy »

gneissisnice wrote:
rfscoach wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote: Before it used to be a binder for most events, but I think they have been trying to cut back on the amount of info teams can bring, so they chose 4 sheets for this year.
Plus, the only reason they had 1 sheet last year was because it was the second year in a row for Earthquakes and Volcanoes, so it'll probably be 1 sheet next year for Earth's Fresh Water.
It was 1 sheet for both the first and second year of Earthquakes and Volcanoes.
Right. For Glaciers, we were allowed to bring a full book. A few years after that, Earthquakes and Volcanoes only allowed one sheet, front and back.
Yes, I remember Glaciers, we could bring a notebook for both years I believe? IMHO, Lakes and Rivers is a much bigger topic than Glaciers, and yet there is 4 cheat sheets allowed. I guess it just made it awkward for me while writing this test, because I would feel more comfortable knowing allowed resources would be either 1 page or a binder. But thats just my preference.
The Eviscerator wrote: Also, I looked at the 2004 national test in one of those test packets (it was Dynamic Planet: Lakes and Rivers, so slightly more narrow) and it had coastline features (like tombolo, point bar, barrier island, etc.). Any thoughts on whether these types of things will show up this year?
Another questionable topic is estuaries. They have brackish water (typically about 17 ppt), so they aren't really freshwater, but not really saltwater either. What are your thoughts on whether these can show up?
Idaho, would you consider writing questions on coastline features and estuaries to be fair?
Thats a slippery slope when it comes to content. By what i'm going, I did not see anything in the rules about estuaries, so i will not ask any questions on them. However, i would put that inclusion up to the decision of whoever is writing the test in your state. If you have estuary systems in your state, you probably have a higher chance of seeing that on a test.

I personally believe that estuaries should be left completely off the test, and that coastline features should only be discussed if they are:
1) Situated on a body of fresh water
2) Created by fresh water mechanisms, through direct contact with humans, or other fresh water means(think dams, lake floods, etc.)

If those conditions are not met, I will not test on them.
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad
personasaurus rex
Division: C
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

yes, I have seen questions on both estuaries and coastline features, so know them, but don't kill yourself over them
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
ribonucleicacid621

Post by ribonucleicacid621 »

Yep, I have seen one question on estuaries on the regional test.
Valley Forge Invitational 2012:
1st Microbe Mission (with 50/94 lol), 3rd Dynamic Planet, 4th Chem Lab (sigh..)

Central MD Regionals 2012:
1st Forensics, 1st Dynamic Planet, 2nd Microbe Mission, 2nd Chem Lab, 2nd Anatomy
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

personasaurus rex wrote:yes, I have seen questions on both estuaries and coastline features, so know them, but don't kill yourself over them
What were the questions, specifically? I just want to know how in depth to go for them. Right now I know the salinity stratification in estuaries, chemical properties of estuaries, and most coastline features.
Last edited by The Eviscerator on April 5th, 2011, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
quadratic

Post by quadratic »

FullMetalMaple wrote:
Perhaps, especially since I tend to cram information into 6-point Arial Narrow font. I got all my Protein Modeling notes on one page, and we're allowed 5 front and back in that event.
I use 4 point consolas in all caps
3.14159265358979323846264338327905 from memory.
I AM THE ASSASSINATOR
Katherine
Division: B

Post by Katherine »

quadratic wrote:
FullMetalMaple wrote:
Wow, did you fill all four pages?
If so, I might do that too.
soccerisforlosers
Division: B
State: AL

Post by soccerisforlosers »

quadratic wrote:
FullMetalMaple wrote:
how the heck can you read that? the words are tiny and it would be really hard to find anything during the competition
2011 State:
Towers 1st
Dynamic Planet 1st
Meteorology 2nd
Experimental Design 4th
Awesome Aquifers 1st
Bottle Rocket 5th
Team 1st

2011 Nationals
Meteorology
Dynamic Planet
Road Scholar
personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

You'd be extremely surprised at what the naked eye can read. My team's anatomy notes, now THAT was beast.

And I don't remember the question about estuaries, but there was a few questions on coastline features on my regionals test. But then again, it was regionals, and our region's event supervisors are notorious for not knowing what they're doing, so...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

Return to “2011 Study Events”