Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by Cheesy Pie »

We used plastic. I'd recommend PVC.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
MVStangs
Division: B
State: IA

Post by MVStangs »

Our team is going to Nationals, but our bottle rocket is only about 12-15 seconds. We got first in our State competition, but only because most other teams didn't have very good rockets. We have tried making a good backslider, but it isn't getting good times. Any advice on what we do next?
Orchdork
State: IL

Post by Orchdork »

MVStangs wrote:Our team is going to Nationals, but our bottle rocket is only about 12-15 seconds. We got first in our State competition, but only because most other teams didn't have very good rockets. We have tried making a good backslider, but it isn't getting good times. Any advice on what we do next?
What the heck... :shock: i thought nationals was 25 sec.
Events (that I'm coaching)
Water Quality
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Orchdork wrote:
MVStangs wrote:Our team is going to Nationals, but our bottle rocket is only about 12-15 seconds. We got first in our State competition, but only because most other teams didn't have very good rockets. We have tried making a good backslider, but it isn't getting good times. Any advice on what we do next?
What the heck... :shock: i thought nationals was 25 sec.
Yeah it's supposed to be around there.

Good luck with making a backslider!
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
Cheesy Pie

Post by Cheesy Pie »

I have no recommendations. You have to take into account SO many variables: temp, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, opponents' rockets, launcher type, air pressure, air pollution!
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Primate
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Primate »

MVStangs, what materials are you using to make your backslider and what's your shape?
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

What exactly is the best material for fins? What we used to use is to heavy now that we made extremely light nose cones and the center of gravity gets too far back. What do you use?
space scientist
State: TX

Post by space scientist »

Littleboy wrote:What exactly is the best material for fins? What we used to use is to heavy now that we made extremely light nose cones and the center of gravity gets too far back. What do you use?
I find that balsa wood is okay for fins although a friend of mine is using Styrofoam for fins. When I alter the center of balance, I prefer to use modeling clay (I got the idea of using it after I had some left over from a science project.) since the mass of the modeling clay can easily be adjusted. in addition, modeling clay is easy to find.
"The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion." John Lawton
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it." William Arthur Ward
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Littleboy wrote:What exactly is the best material for fins? What we used to use is to heavy now that we made extremely light nose cones and the center of gravity gets too far back. What do you use?
Robert Youens is a genius. Trust me, these work wonderfully.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

Primate wrote:
Robert Youens is a genius. Trust me, these work wonderfully.
Tried it they weren't rigid so they flopped alot. And they aren't waterproof. But I may try again now that the snow is melted.

space scientist wrote:
I find that balsa wood is okay for fins although a friend of mine is using Styrofoam for fins. When I alter the center of balance, I prefer to use modeling clay (I got the idea of using it after I had some left over from a science project.) since the mass of the modeling clay can easily be adjusted. in addition, modeling clay is easy to find.
Balsa: breaks sometimes when hits ground/something else in its path (What thickness do you use?)
Styrofoam: Produced too much drag for us thus reducing its height.

Return to “2011 Build Events”