Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

Post by chalker »

rjm wrote:We considered buying the OWI kit and trying it, but when I layed out the field to scale in AutoCAD and checked the reach to each goal, we realized that the OWI kit couldn't reach much of anything, so we dropped the idea. I found some arm kits online for which were fairly expensive which could reach better. It's hard to justify spending much money on the trial events.
I"m curious, did you get detailed specs from OWI or did you just estimate based upon the general product description regarding size / reach / etc? There is a lot of room for interpretation in what the generic specs actually mean.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
rjm
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rjm »

We didn't explore it that far; I was looking at the advertised information on the OWI Robotic Arm Trainer Kit, which claims a maximum horizontal reach of 360 mm and a maximum lifting capacity of 130 g. Depending on where that reach is measured - center of motion or edge of the base - this version of the OWI kit almost reaches the side goals. (It appears that the center of the base to the center of the side goal would be 403 mm.) With homemade end effectors or extensions on the stock gripper, the side goals are just scoreable, the northernmost goals are out of reach, and the capacity will drop off with the extension of the reach. Frankly, we didn't have the time, resources, or interest to do much more than learn to operate a kit for a trial, and this one didn't really fit the event. When the event goes live next year, we'll deal with it.

Bob Monetza
Grand Haven, MI
whadk
Division: C
State: IN

Post by whadk »

Dark Sabre wrote:Indiana chose not to run Sumo, but they are using Robot Ramble instead: https://www.indianascienceolympiad.org/ ... ?newsID=29
ehhh?
RWARRRR :)
whadk

Post by whadk »

I still heard it's an actual event in nationals though,,
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Its a trial event at nationals this year. Anyone can compete, primary or alternate team members. Medals awarded, but does not count towards team score.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

I think whadk was asking about Sumo Bots, which is still a full event at nationals. What Jeff is referring to above is the way Robot Arm will be run there.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
whadk

Post by whadk »

chalker7 wrote:I think whadk was asking about Sumo Bots, which is still a full event at nationals. What Jeff is referring to above is the way Robot Arm will be run there.
yea,,i was referring to Sumo,,
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

Are there any pictures or videos from any of the competitions with Robot Arm as a trial event? Just trying to visualize what a completed one might look like.
andrew_cockman

Post by andrew_cockman »

does anyone have pictures of robot arm, THAT DOESN'T use vex kits. That can also reach all the way across the field.
science95
State: TN

Post by science95 »

In controling the robotic arm, are computers allowed? Also, if they are allowed, is preprogramming the computer allowed?

Return to “2011 Build Events”