Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Post by mnstrviola »

at state, they had us make bouncer. The team that made one that went for wrapped two bundles of paper each seperately wrappped in plastic (not sure if that was ok) with rubber bands and then threw the ball down on it. Arden used their box as part of their advice, so I assume they go DQed. They are not going to state.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

mnstrviola wrote:at state, they had us make bouncer. The team that made one that went for wrapped two bundles of paper each seperately wrappped in plastic (not sure if that was ok) with rubber bands and then threw the ball down on it. Arden used their box as part of their advice, so I assume they go DQed. They are not going to state.
Did you see the 1st place team's design? :?:

So Arden isn't going to Nationals, right?

And about throwing...well, I'm having some issues with that. :\
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
bk
Division: B
State: MI

Post by bk »

strikerbear10 wrote:What is your longest elevated ramp?

We haven't practiced that one as much, but we should be able to get at least ten feet with our final design...
We have a 20ft ramp :P
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Write it Do it 5th :twisted: :evil: :(
Junkyard Challenge !st :mrgreen: :D :P
Metrology 2nd :D :P :mrgreen:
metrology 2nd
Junkyard Challenge 1st
Write it Do it
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

fishman100 wrote:
mnstrviola wrote:at state, they had us make bouncer. The team that made one that went for wrapped two bundles of paper each seperately wrappped in plastic (not sure if that was ok) with rubber bands and then threw the ball down on it. Arden used their box as part of their advice, so I assume they go DQed. They are not going to state.
Did you see the 1st place team's design? :?:

No, they had us test separately, and spectators were not allowed. We could only watch people build.

So Arden isn't going to Nationals, right?

Confirmed. I apologize for my typo.

And about throwing...well, I'm having some issues with that. :\
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

bk wrote:
strikerbear10 wrote:What is your longest elevated ramp?

We haven't practiced that one as much, but we should be able to get at least ten feet with our final design...
We have a 20ft ramp :P
nice! that's like 600 cm already :P
Add the balls (for bonus points) and that should be around 5000 points :)
We got ~4000 at State and won; so if your ramp is successful then you'll have a good shot at winning!
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
State: WI

Post by 124113 »

Can someone help me with bouncer? It's really hard! And what do you use for the elevated ramp? :D :D :D :D :D
Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

ohiostar wrote:Just finished Solon Invitational in Ohio, the challenge was "bridge" We were provided a space to build on the floor then after the 30min. time we were asked to move our bridges on top of two tables which were moved as far apart as our bridge would allow. One end of the bridge was on a table and the other end of the bridge sat on a seperate table with the span of the bridge over the gap. Then the 2 minute period for testing/judging began.

The judges scored by measuring between the tables.

Does this sound correct, may bridges saged in the middle well below the table height - teams with the saging bridges were considered legal. If the gap between the two tables was not present the saging bridges would have touched a table top or floor depending on how they were set up.

How does one practice for these events when the rules are interpeted in so many way? Look at the FAQ's in the S.O. web site by far the most questions submitted are for Junkyard.

The winning bridge was constructed of two parellel strings with weights at each end and a plate in the middle - the span was extremely large probably 10ft. (conservative) when placed between the tables the cup and ball were inches from the floor.

Frustrated in Ohio
Did anyone get cantilever for their Regionals? If so, how long was it and what was the design?
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

Yes- the design used paper for their counterweight and more paper for the thing that goes over.
strikerbear10
Division: C
State: MI

Post by strikerbear10 »

So what would you guys say is the best way to build a bouncer?

(My partner and I are still struggling...) :(
State: WI

Post by 124113 »

strikerbear10 wrote:So what would you guys say is the best way to build a bouncer?

(My partner and I are still struggling...) :(

One way would be to put rubber bands around a bowl, if the bowl deforms, taped many together. It isn't the best design, but it's a start.

Return to “2011 Build Events”