Meteorology B

Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Tramsarran »

MMeteorite1 wrote:OK, so I have placed 1st 2 x, in the great state of Ohio (NE Ohio) at Invitationals, plus a 3rd at another. I also have medaled 3 times in Optics including at regionals. Just found out, because I am a 9th grader, I am the odd man out in competing at our State meet. Did I mention I finished 4th last year in the state, and now I don't even get to compete. Have to say I am very down right now. Best of luck to you all. Cherrish the chances you get to compete. I will stay away from sharp instruments for a while.
Wow, my school doesn't have any 9th graders and we look up to the 8th graders in SO. Does the high school you're going into have SO so you can join division c? Do you have any advice for everyone who's still competing in Meterology? I'm hoping that I can make it into my school's SO team next year. I got 8th in Meterology at States.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by robotman »

robotman09 wrote: When I find the time I will write a test. So most likely not for a few weeks.
Sorry but i never did get this finished and now i cant find what i started.
If you guys want i can ask questions here and see who get the correct awnser?
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by brobo »

robotman09 wrote:
robotman09 wrote: When I find the time I will write a test. So most likely not for a few weeks.
Sorry but i never did get this finished and now i cant find what i started.
If you guys want i can ask questions here and see who get the correct awnser?
sure that would be fun
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman »

Ok than
my only rule is you have to use the [hide][/hide] tag when answering
they will vary in difficulty mainly based off of what I remember seeing

Here we go

A tornado is rotating in a counterclockwise direction and moving towards the northeast, the strongest winds will be on which side?
Edit the Wiki.
[chat][/chat]
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by brobo »

southeast, because that is where it's gaining speed from the coriolis effect
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

Ubuntu is awesome.
MMeteorite1
State: OH

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Happy to share study materials. There is core info, but Meteorlogy emphasis topic rotates on a 3 yr cycles.
Yes, I will compete in Div C next year, though no Meteorology in C
Tramsarran wrote:
MMeteorite1 wrote:OK, so I have placed 1st 2 x, in the great state of Ohio (NE Ohio) at Invitationals, plus a 3rd at another. I also have medaled 3 times in Optics including at regionals. Just found out, because I am a 9th grader, I am the odd man out in competing at our State meet. Did I mention I finished 4th last year in the state, and now I don't even get to compete. Have to say I am very down right now. Best of luck to you all. Cherrish the chances you get to compete. I will stay away from sharp instruments for a while.
Wow, my school doesn't have any 9th graders and we look up to the 8th graders in SO. Does the high school you're going into have SO so you can join division c? Do you have any advice for everyone who's still competing in Meterology? I'm hoping that I can make it into my school's SO team next year. I got 8th in Meterology at States.
FueL

Post by FueL »

The [hide] tags don't seem to work for me, so I'll use the spoiler tags instead.
The southeast side, because the SW winds are behind it and augment the speed of the winds there. @MMeteorite1: Does that mean Ohio doesn't allow 9th graders to compete at the state tournament? Or was it for another reason?
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman »

Ok since there have been two correct answers lets move on.

Explain the scale that is used to measure tornado strength, explain each individual rating and also the difference between each rating.
Than rate this tornado
This tornado tore through a cornfield than a town in northwest kansas and destroyed a church.
Edit the Wiki.
[chat][/chat]
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by brobo »

robotman09 wrote:Ok since there have been two correct answers lets move on.

Explain the scale that is used to measure tornado strength, explain each individual rating and also the difference between each rating.
Than rate this tornado
This tornado tore through a cornfield than a town in northwest kansas and destroyed a church.
Fujita Scale- Based off of wind speed. The rattings depend on weather or not your using the ENHANCED Fujita Scale or the regular one. That could be anything above a F3, I would think, but the exact value would depend on how much else it destroyed.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

Ubuntu is awesome.
FueL

Post by FueL »

robotman09 wrote:Ok since there have been two correct answers lets move on.

Than rate this tornado
The Enhanced Fujita scale rates tornados from EF-0 to EF-5 based on damage. EF-0 is minimal damage (maybe branches ripped off and small trees affected), EF-3 is moderate damage (maybe trees knocked over, cars moved, poorly built outhouses and whatnot destroyed), EF-5 is severe damage (steel-reinforced houses completely ripped out of the ground).

I would say EF-4.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

Return to “2011 Study Events”