robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by robotman »

Both of you are correct again however Fuels rating would be more accurate as a church would be a solid building

here is one i have always hated lets see how you fair
Floating a Car
a) Flash flooding is dangerous and many people don’t know just how little water it takes
to float a car. Imagine you own a compact car. Just for fun, since you aren’t old enough
to drive, you decide to fit it in a box that is 16 feet long and 5 feet wide and try to make
it float. What is the area of the bottom of the box?
________
b) You know that an object (such as a 2500 pound car like yours) will float in water if the
weight of the water underneath it is greater than the object’s weight. You remember
that one cubic foot of water (enough to fill a box 1 foot wide, 1 foot long, and 1 foot
tall) weighs about 62.5 pounds. How much will the water in the box weigh if it’s filled
to a depth of:
¼ foot? _________
½ foot? _________
¾ foot? _________
1 foot? _________
c) About how much water do you think it will take to make your 2500 pound car float?
A) 3 inches B) 6 inches C) 12 inches D) 24 inches
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
FueL
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by FueL »

A and B seem pointless to me - all it tests is calculation skills, not knowledge.
80 feet
1250 pounds
2500 pounds
3750 pounds
5000 pounds
B
Edit: Anyway, I should stop answering, since I won't be competing in this anymore. :P
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
yogoperson
State: CA

Post by yogoperson »

robotman09 wrote:Both of you are correct again however Fuels rating would be more accurate as a church would be a solid building

here is one i have always hated lets see how you fare
Floating a Car
a) Flash flooding is dangerous and many people don’t know just how little water it takes
to float a car. Imagine you own a compact car. Just for fun, since you aren’t old enough
to drive, you decide to fit it in a box that is 16 feet long and 5 feet wide and try to make
it float. What is the area of the bottom of the box?
________
b) You know that an object (such as a 2500 pound car like yours) will float in water if the
weight of the water underneath it is greater than the object’s weight. You remember
that one cubic foot of water (enough to fill a box 1 foot wide, 1 foot long, and 1 foot
tall) weighs about 62.5 pounds. How much will the water in the box weigh if it’s filled
to a depth of:
¼ foot? _________
½ foot? _________
¾ foot? _________
1 foot? _________
c) About how much water do you think it will take to make your 2500 pound car float?
A) 3 inches B) 6 inches C) 12 inches D) 24 inches
As for me, I don't even understand the question. ^^
a) A=lw
=16x5
=80
b) Don't get.
c) I say b, because that will be a lot of water. ^^
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
-----
Fossils
Entomology
Oh gawd what have I done to myself.
FueL

Post by FueL »

For anyone who's interested, I made a severe storms quiz but it's a bit too short to be posted on the test exchange. It has no focus; it's mostly made up of random facts I've read here and there.

True/False
1. It is safe to administer CPR to a person immediately after they have been struck by lightning.
2. When caught in the middle of a thunderstorm with no nearby shelter, you should lie down in the nearest ditch.
3. Tornadoes generated by hurricanes are generally weaker than normal tornadoes.
4. A nor'easter gets its name from the fact that it usually strikes the northeaster US.
5. A capping inversion causes the storms that subsequently form to be weaker than normal.

Statistics
6. In which state do the most people get struck by lightning, yearly?
7. Approximately how many tornadoes form in the US every year? What about thunderstorms?
8. For hurricane development to become favorable, tropical waters must warm to at least how many degrees Fahrenheit?
9. "Positive" lightning (lightning that originates from the positively charged anvil of the cloud) occurs in what percent of all lightning strikes?
10. Which state has the smallest number of recorded tornadoes?

Short Answer
11. Why do we hardly hear about Pacific hurricanes on the news?
12. What is a backdoor cold front?
13. Name three weather systems that occur at the mesoscale level. (be more specific than mesoscale convective system)
14. When viewing Doppler radar, what does the abbreviation dbZ stand for? (NOT Dragonball Z :P )

Misc.
15. The following terms are associated with hurricanes. Order them from most to least percentage of hurricane-related deaths.
a) high speed winds
b) inland flooding
c) storm surge

16. Weather prediction is much more accurate now than it has been in the past. Order the following as they relate to hurricanes, from most accurately predicted to least accurately predicted.
a) track
b) intensity
c) speed

17. Which of the following clouds are generally associated with fair weather? (there may be more than one answer)
a) cirrus
b) cumulus
c) cirrostratus
d) roll cloud
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
abator
State: OH

Post by abator »

At the Ohio State competition they mainly asked about mesoscale convective complex and about current weather like the weather in Alabama and the Carolinas. They also would give you scenarios and you would have to pick the safest and smartest way to deal with it.

2011 States Ohio
6th Meteorology First on my team to place at State! :D
9th Battery Buggy.
Placement: Gold: 13 Silver: 4 Bronze: 6 4th: 5 5th: 9 6th: 5 7th: 2 8th: 3
Team Captain 8-)
FueL

Post by FueL »

Mesoscale convective complexes? That's a pretty random concept to test you guys on. XD
abator

Post by abator »

The test had around twenty questions on it. My partner also does Dynamic Planet and he said that it was in that test as well.

2011 States Ohio
9th Battery Buggy.
Team Captain 8-)
soccerisforlosers
Division: B
State: AL

Post by soccerisforlosers »

abator wrote:At the Ohio State competition they mainly asked about mesoscale convective complex and about current weather like the weather in Alabama and the Carolinas. They also would give you scenarios and you would have to pick the safest and smartest way to deal with it.

2011 States Ohio
9th Battery Buggy.
what kind of questions did they ask you about weather in alabama and the carolinas? and what type of scenarios? can you give me some examples of questions they had?
2011 State:
Towers 1st
Dynamic Planet 1st
Meteorology 2nd
Experimental Design 4th
Awesome Aquifers 1st
Bottle Rocket 5th
Team 1st

2011 Nationals
Meteorology
Dynamic Planet
Road Scholar
FueL

Post by FueL »

So I'm guessing they were the really extensive response type? Our state test had around 80 questions.

And MCCs in a Dynamic Planet test?
abator

Post by abator »

The test had over 120 questions.

For the scenarios they would have a cloud and ask you if you should take cover, go outside, drive away and things like that.
But for others they asked what conditions were making the picture happen.

201 State Ohio
6th Meteorology 1st on my team to place at State! :D
9th Battery Buggy
Team Captain 8-)

Return to “2011 Study Events”