Sumo Bots C

Frogger4907
Division: Grad
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sumo Bots C

Post by Frogger4907 »

ichaelm wrote:What I mean is that there are some people who will be making the decision who don't like fermi as an event. I do agree though that it's most likely sumo will be removed and fermi will come back. But note the question mark next to fermi in the summer schedule!
that is very true.... as well :)
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

ichaelm wrote:What I mean is that there are some people who will be making the decision who don't like fermi as an event.
I have not seen any information supporting this assumption, either on this forum or otherwise. Unless you've been personally speaking to any State Directors and/or National Supervisors who have said that they do not like this event I would very careful about making such blanket statements.
Frogger4907

Post by Frogger4907 »

penclspinner wrote:
ichaelm wrote:What I mean is that there are some people who will be making the decision who don't like fermi as an event.
I have not seen any information supporting this assumption, either on this forum or otherwise. Unless you've been personally speaking to any State Directors and/or National Supervisors who have said that they do not like this event I would very careful about making such blanket statements.
I see why you said that, oh wait... no I don't, because it doesn't even matter.
20 Div C State Medals
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

I would like to point out that question mark could have been used as an abbreviation of the word question, since the full name is Fermi Questions and not to indicate the tentativeness of the event.
Frogger4907

Post by Frogger4907 »

dang, your smart :P
20 Div C State Medals
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Schrodingerscat, are you a study person? Science Olympiad has many types of events. Next year happens to be one with few interesting build events. Sumobots has been expensive for many teams, and to see it go after only 1 year....... I realize it was difficult to run, but still... I don't see what you could prepare for in Fermi. It just doesn't seem like a real event to me... Anyways, this isn't the right place to discuss this.
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

I do agree sumo bot is a good event and should be continued. However, I do not think it should continue instead of Fermi. Could it not also fit under the category of Technology and postpone robotic arm another year? I have trouble seeing how it fits as "Inquiry/nature of science" instead of technology and engineering anyway, where Fermi fits easily into that classification.
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Right, I completely agree with the statement directly above. Sumo Bots is definitely more of an engineering event, and Fermi is more of a Nature-of-Science thing. I personally have a negative view towards events such as Fermi and WIDI. That's just my views. However, I think Fermi would be fun to participate in, just not necessarily in Science Olympiad.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

penclspinner wrote:...... I don't think a few SO'ers complaining on a general forum constitutes as "controversialness" and I'm pretty sure that Fermi is not going to be switched out at the last minute.
Well said and quite true.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Frogger4907 wrote:
ichaelm wrote:What I mean is that there are some people who will be making the decision who don't like fermi as an event. I do agree though that it's most likely sumo will be removed and fermi will come back. But note the question mark next to fermi in the summer schedule!
that is very true.... as well :)
No it's not. And I don't see any question mark: http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... -26-11.pdf

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2011 Build Events”