Ornithology B/C

scientist
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: December 27th, 2010, 5:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by scientist » May 3rd, 2011, 8:13 pm

I had the same EXACT diagrams as in the regionals test
made the test pretty easy :lol:

User avatar
tuftedtitmouse12
Member
Member
Posts: 778
Joined: January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » May 4th, 2011, 6:59 pm

at state?? lucky...thats probably how you did so well.....jk...lol :D i still can't believe i got the tufted puffin beak question wrong.... :(
peter, peter, peter

User avatar
sciencegeek100
Member
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by sciencegeek100 » May 5th, 2011, 7:25 am

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:at state?? lucky...thats probably how you did so well.....jk...lol :D i still can't believe i got the tufted puffin beak question wrong.... :(
can u post any question you remember on here that were hard/weird/interesting...
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)

User avatar
sciencegeek100
Member
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by sciencegeek100 » May 5th, 2011, 7:31 am

tweety wrote:
paleonaps wrote:Binders would be very nice.
yes, they would and we showed up at our ornithology event yesterday and they told us we could have two bird guides, two two sided sheets of notes, and two bird lists and we were confused and mad at the same time. are event supervisors allowed to change parameters like that?
read the rules tweety, this year you CAN have 2 books, pages of notes and 2 official bird lists
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)

User avatar
sciencegeek100
Member
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Earth
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by sciencegeek100 » May 5th, 2011, 7:32 am

tweety wrote:
paleonaps wrote:Binders would be very nice.
yes, they would and we showed up at our ornithology event yesterday and they told us we could have two bird guides, two two sided sheets of notes, and two bird lists and we were confused and mad at the same time. are event supervisors allowed to change parameters like that?
read the rules tweety, this year you CAN have 2 books, pages of notes and 2 official bird lists
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Kokonilly » May 5th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Can anyone give me any tips? I'm doing Ornithology for the first time ever at nationals due to conflicts. Is there a way I can learn ID-ing really, really quickly and effectively? My partner's never done it either...

User avatar
Frogger4907
Member
Member
Posts: 458
Joined: September 16th, 2010, 11:16 am
Division: Grad
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Frogger4907 » May 5th, 2011, 2:37 pm

at nationals? ur partners never done it either? I wouldn't try. You unfortunately are going to fail against such competition.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
>20 Div C State Medals

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Kokonilly » May 5th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Frogger4907 wrote:at nationals? ur partners never done it either? I wouldn't try. You unfortunately are going to fail against such competition.
Thank you for those encouraging words of advice.

User avatar
lolliexdd
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: February 24th, 2011, 5:28 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: SUNY-ESF
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by lolliexdd » May 5th, 2011, 3:34 pm

Kokonilly wrote:
Frogger4907 wrote:at nationals? ur partners never done it either? I wouldn't try. You unfortunately are going to fail against such competition.
Thank you for those encouraging words of advice.
You could try highlighting the birds in your bird guide, it helped me a lot to connect birds to their names. After that, just use one of those websites where people have notecards or slideshows to study from. Hope that helps.
Frogger4907 wrote:at nationals? ur partners never done it either? I wouldn't try. You unfortunately are going to fail against such competition.
That's pretty condescending. There may be some truth in the last part, but I would feel much better trying, than not trying at all. And learning is part of science Olympiad, saying you wouldn't try is like discouraging someone from learning and bettering themselves.

I've never been to nationals so I'm not too familiar with the competition, but you might as well try, Kokonilly. I'm curious though- what happened to the people on the event before? Did they both have conflicts?
Stroudsburg HS Science Olympiad Graduate!
SUNY- College of Environmental Science and Forestry '17

User avatar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 631
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:59 am
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: a dumpster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Kokonilly » May 5th, 2011, 3:40 pm

lolliexdd wrote:You could try highlighting the birds in your bird guide, it helped me a lot to connect birds to their names. After that, just use one of those websites where people have notecards or slideshows to study from. Hope that helps.
lolliexdd wrote:There may be some truth in the last part, but I would feel much better trying, than not trying at all. And learning is part of science Olympiad, saying you wouldn't try is like discouraging someone from learning and bettering themselves.

I've never been to nationals so I'm not too familiar with the competition, but you might as well try, Kokonilly. I'm curious though- what happened to the people on the event before? Did they both have conflicts?
Thanks for the tips! I've inherited the old bird guide, which I've been reading for the last couple days.
And I'm not really expecting to do too well (30th?) but yes, I figure I may as well put some effort into it. I would feel terrible if I hurt the team. And yes; both members of the former Ornithology pairing had conflicts, and my partner and I are the most interested people with that block open.

Locked

Return to “2011 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests