Junkyard Challenge B

Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Post by Littleboy »

I know a way to get it to bounce 5-6 feet accurate (and no rubberbands nessesary)

I am debating weather to say it but i probably won't
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

gyourkoshaven wrote:
skillfullparrot7 wrote:
Littleboy wrote:Yes they are
That record is held by havenguy (from strath haven)
The only question: Is it accurate?
As a teammate of his (And a participant in the event), I can reassure everyone that his aforementioned distance was a typo. We have not gotten the bouncer to launch further than a meter.
Alright, a bit of an awkward situation here. Another teammate of mine told me it had gone that far with a design we had tried out. What I found out later was that while being dropped, the ball could not go farther than 1 meter. While the ball was being thrown down, it went about 3 times farther, the record being 4 meters.

I only help with Junkyard once in a while, so I haven't looked back at that post for a while. I only remembered this once my teammate informed me. My apologies.

As for the accuracy question (I will answer this even though the bouncer cannot go an astounding distance) yes, it goes straight and also consistent. I hope this clears things up, and once again, my apologies. I have to learn not to trust my teammates ;)
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

my best design is so simple. but if not dropped correctly it can lead to a fail.
gyourkoshaven
State: PA

Post by gyourkoshaven »

Furthering what havenguy said, my partner and I constructed our initial design after school one day (A typical rubber band one). It was getting a little less than a meter with tennis and golf balls. Not realizing that roughly 80 cm or so was actually not a terrible score, I taped the bouncer to the top of our box (Which was filled with paper and other balls, and is approximately 25 cm high). While not a legal design (As the only time the box may be a part of the design is when the top is a collection container), I slammed the balls down several times anyway, and it was getting 3-4 meters, relatively straight. Like I previously mentioned, our current (legal) ones are again getting about 60-80 cm, fairly straight.

What do people think the nationals challenge will be?
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

gyourkoshaven wrote:Furthering what havenguy said, my partner and I constructed our initial design after school one day (A typical rubber band one). It was getting a little less than a meter with tennis and golf balls. Not realizing that roughly 80 cm or so was actually not a terrible score, I taped the bouncer to the top of our box (Which was filled with paper and other balls, and is approximately 25 cm high). While not a legal design (As the only time the box may be a part of the design is when the top is a collection container), I slammed the balls down several times anyway, and it was getting 3-4 meters, relatively straight. Like I previously mentioned, our current (legal) ones are again getting about 60-80 cm, fairly straight.

What do people think the nationals challenge will be?
I think it is what is best for the situation. I don't know how to put that into other words for Nationals.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Well, we'll find out early in the morning (in the first block, to be exact :P)

Just wondering, how many teams got 2nd tier in your state? Because only 8 out of 19 teams didn't in VA :P
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
Cheese_Muffin_Man

fishman100 wrote:Well, we'll find out early in the morning (in the first block, to be exact :P)

Just wondering, how many teams got 2nd tier in your state? Because only 8 out of 19 teams didn't in VA :P
Could you explain to me what a tier is in junkyard. I'm so confused. :oops:
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:
fishman100 wrote:Well, we'll find out early in the morning (in the first block, to be exact :P)

Also, you know the time block that says all in the early morning? Well, is that where all the teams build? And if that's the case, we self-schedule our testing time?
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:
Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:

Also, you know the time block that says all in the early morning? Well, is that where all the teams build? And if that's the case, we self-schedule our testing time?[/
quote]

A tier is a rank, you could call it. You get placed in a tier based on if you meet all the specs (box = to or under 95 cm, no more than 10 tennis balls, etc.). First tier is the tier that every team wants-no building violations, etc. 2nd tier means you had a building violation-either your box was too big or you had the wrong supplies.

And I'm pretty sure that the "all" block is the impound.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
skillfullparrot7
Division: B
State: CA

Post by skillfullparrot7 »

About the catapult, are you guys' triggers on the back or the front?
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."

Return to “2011 Build Events”