Compute This B

tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Compute This B

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

thats my point...its not complicated, but in my opinion, its ALOT more interesting than searching up data... :lol: searching up data isn't the MOST interesting thing..
peter, peter, peter
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

TheGenius wrote: Programming isn't complicated. Regardless of the implementation, I would happy if they just brought a computer centered event to Division C.
Anyone care to suggest something? We've struggled at the committee meetings for many years to come up with an idea that is actually implementable. Keep in mind these factors:
1. Needs to be able to be run in a 50 minute time block
2. Needs to be gradeable / scorable in about the same amount of time
3. Results in the teams generating some sort of output that is quantifiable (i.e. we can't just have a pass/fail result since we couldn't rank teams that way)
4. Provides for a range of challenges such that most regional tournament caliber competitors can get a reasonable score while we don't have all the national competitors getting perfect scores
5. Doesn't require really expensive software to run

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
tuftedtitmouse12

computer programming?
:P

god, now im starting to sound like a broken record...
peter, peter, peter
TheGenius
State: KS

Post by TheGenius »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:computer programming?
:P

god, now im starting to sound like a broken record...
But how would you make it gradable? What would the end goal be?
The best I can think of would be a test, but that doesn't sound like it would have a place in a computer event.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

tuftedtitmouse12

time?

how efficient and compact the written program is?

i don't really KNOW..i was just suggesting something...
peter, peter, peter
Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Tramsarran »

Right now, I'd say Compute This is the least interesting event, especially searching for data. My partner and I spent all the time searching for data and didn't think of faking it to make the graph at that time. Please, whatever you do, I hope that it isn't as tedious as searching for data.

I'd like that a lot of data could be given to us and our mission/goal is to arrange as much data as we can within the given time. The scores will vary greatly between the teams and it'll be extremely difficult to get a perfect score as there would be lots of data that needs to be utilized and presented in some sort of manner.

Another idea would be to design some sort of presentation; either simply creating a powerpoint and presenting it or saving one on the computer for the judges to grade. We could be given some information about the topic and what we have to present along with some resources that we may use get most of the information. We'd be looking for data but not specific numbers, stats, etc. I have a lot I can say to elaborate on this idea later if there is no better idea. Maybe at Regionals the topic could be something like harmful cleaning products(what it is, examples of it, effects of it, alternatives, action you can take, etc.) Creativity in the computer presentation should count just as strongly as the data presented or "computed". I'll elaborate more on this idea if it seems to follow the required guidelines.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
tuftedtitmouse12

OMG, that "lost" and "unfound" and "unexisting" data happened to all IL state people...and agreed, compute this is not really INTERESTING...i got forced into it because no one else on my team would do it...
peter, peter, peter
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I found Compute This very interesting, actually. All of the sites are very good, and if you look into them, you can find some pretty cool stuff. Furthermore, use of Excel and Word are critical to success in ALL fields of employment. (Okay, MOST fields of employment. Some. You get the point.) That could be a two-time state champion speaking, though, too. But I think it does have some value. People get hung up on the fact that it's "Compute" and it's not really in-depth computer stuff, and yes, I want a programming event too. But if you don't look into the name, I think it's really pretty interesting.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Tramsarran »

"Missing" and "unfound" data really kills all that time spent practicing with Word and Excel though.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
quadratic
State: IL

Post by quadratic »

Its my favorite event, but excel graphing a search engine usage is just scratching the surface of what most of us can do. Every single other event I've been in has had high school/college type material in it, and has been very challenging. Compute this on the other hand seem to be more like a elementary/middle web quest.
3.14159265358979323846264338327905 from memory.
I AM THE ASSASSINATOR

Return to “2011 Lab Events”