Pennsylvania 2011

havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2011

Post by havenguy »

What do people think pennsylvania will place at nats this year?
Last edited by havenguy on May 12th, 2011, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
junexia
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by junexia »

havenguy wrote:What do people think pennsylvania will place at nats this year?

We want to place well, because the past 2 years have been pretty bad for us. We got 14th and 19th last year, and 15th and 20th in 2009. I expect Pennsylvania to place in the top 10, because we are one of the more competitive states.
just because we are competitive does not mean we will definitely place in the top ten. we certainly have a chance, but this is nationals, and there are also many other good teams that have worked extremely hard. hopefully we will, but nothing is guaranteed.
Events for 2011:
Ornithology <3, Fossils, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Dynamic Planet
L42

Post by L42 »

boomtech wrote:I am heading over to the Univ of Pennsylvania for college next year and I was wondering if there were opportunities to volunteer for Pennsylvania Science Olympiad there.
There aren't any actual competitions at Penn but there is the Southeast Pennsylvania regional tournament at Cabrini College (which would be the closest competition to you). You could probably contact the people there and ask if they need volunteers or could put you in touch with someone. Here's a link to the PA site: http://projects.juniata.edu/scioly/regional.html . There's also an invitational at Conestoga High School (which is also not too far from Philly) and you could try them as well: http://battleatvalleyforge.wikispaces.com/.
Massachusetts State Remote Sensing/Geologic Mapping Supervisor
2010 Nationals: 1st Ecology
2011 Nationals: 4th Dynamic Planet, 3rd Ecology, 1st Remote Sensing
2012 Nationals: 1st Remote Sensing
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by nejanimb »

Hey Alaric - Congrats! Penn should be awesome.

Definitely look into helping out with PA Olympiad - It's a fun organization! I worked with VA SO this year (Supervised Towers at both Regionals and TPS at States) and I found it really rewarding. In addition to the competitions mentioned by L42, Bayard Rustin hosts a Div B Invitational as well that you might be able to help out at if you talk to their coaches. Depending on which events you want to work on, you can get in touch with those people too - for instance, the guy who supervises the balsa event every year is with Penncrest, so if you talk to them they might have you help out. (Find them at nationals too?)

Getting to Cabrini / Stoga / Rustin and any of those is very easy - Septa (the train/bus system) has lines that'll take you right there, and almost definitely people will be able to help you out. I'd wager though that the olympiad organization would welcome someone with your experience and expertise - definitely look into it! Good luck at Nats too.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

nejanimb wrote:Hey Alaric - Congrats! Penn should be awesome.

Definitely look into helping out with PA Olympiad - It's a fun organization! I worked with VA SO this year (Supervised Towers at both Regionals and TPS at States) and I found it really rewarding. In addition to the competitions mentioned by L42, Bayard Rustin hosts a Div B Invitational as well that you might be able to help out at if you talk to their coaches. Depending on which events you want to work on, you can get in touch with those people too - for instance, the guy who supervises the balsa event every year is with Penncrest, so if you talk to them they might have you help out. (Find them at nationals too?)

Getting to Cabrini / Stoga / Rustin and any of those is very easy - Septa (the train/bus system) has lines that'll take you right there, and almost definitely people will be able to help you out. I'd wager though that the olympiad organization would welcome someone with your experience and expertise - definitely look into it! Good luck at Nats too.
Someone from VA! :D

And congrats Havenguy (and anyone else who's going) on going to Nationals :)
havenguy wrote:What do people think pennsylvania will place at nats this year?

We want to place well, because the past 2 years have been pretty bad for us. We got 14th and 19th last year, and 15th and 20th in 2009. I expect Pennsylvania to place in the top 10, because we are one of the more competitive states.
Well 14th is pretty close to 10th. Good luck :)
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
boomtech
State: CA

Post by boomtech »

nejanimb wrote:Hey Alaric - Congrats! Penn should be awesome.

Thanks! A lot of PMs have come my way, and I am very grateful. Looks like I'll be able to get in touch with the people who run the Southeast Pennsylvania regional competition. Maybe I'll even be able to help at the state event!

I love Septa.
Former Div B, C competitor; current Div B, C Event Supervisor
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

fishman100 wrote: Well 14th is pretty close to 10th. Good luck
Thanks. 14th is great, and that is a tough goal to beat this year.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
gyourkoshaven

Post by gyourkoshaven »

Great job at nationals Penncrest, Harriton, and Shady Side!
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

gyourkoshaven wrote:Great job at nationals Penncrest, Harriton, Strath Haven and Shady Side!
fixed
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Lol, but I have to agree.

Congrats to Strath haven for getting 11th!

And congrats to the other PA teams as well-I saw PA consistently on the award ceremony slideshow thingy.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”