State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by amerikestrel »

Kokonilly wrote:60. :P
What was the test like?
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

amerikestrel wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:60. :P
What was the test like?
It was a set of 11 or so stations, each themed to something. There were about 6 stuffed specimens. It was pretty tough (the lady said that she looked at the nats test from last year and thought it was too easy, so she made it harder). Each station was 3.5 minutes long.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

For C, HARD. Most of it was not identification- it was more like a test, with a certain bird used to illustrate a point. One station on Anatomy, one on Digestion, one on ID, another on ID, one on flight, one on ID, one on nests (matching column...lengthy nest description to bird....12 BIRDS), two on miscellany, and one on feathers... 7 vocalizations, and about 8 tie-breakers focusing on weird topics like the physics of flight to evolution of birds. The specimens were badly preserved birds, crammed into plastic tubes.
I got 13th. My partner and I did not finish the nesting stations- of about 15 questions total (including the matching), we answered three. That is what killed us.
From what I heard, the B test was extremely easy- ID then questions, well preserved, museum-quality mounted birds.
The Gelinas team did better than I did last year. It was a little bittersweet, but I'm happy for them.
Koko, it was ten stations, minus calls. BTW< it was awesome to meet you.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

paleonaps wrote:For C, HARD. Most of it was not identification- it was more like a test, with a certain bird used to illustrate a point. One station on Anatomy, one on Digestion, one on ID, another on ID, one on flight, one on ID, one on nests (matching column...lengthy nest description to bird....12 BIRDS), two on miscellany, and one on feathers... 7 vocalizations, and about 8 tie-breakers focusing on weird topics like the physics of flight to evolution of birds. The specimens were badly preserved birds, crammed into plastic tubes.
I got 13th. My partner and I did not finish the nesting stations- of about 15 questions total (including the matching), we answered three. That is what killed us.
From what I heard, the B test was extremely easy- ID then questions, well preserved, museum-quality mounted birds.
The Gelinas team did better than I did last year. It was a little bittersweet, but I'm happy for them.
Koko, it was ten stations, minus calls. BTW< it was awesome to meet you.
Much more eloquently put. I can't quite remember much from that day. And the specimens were so hard to look at!
I didn't find the calls very difficult, but we didn't finish a single station - not enough practice, I guess. And yeah, it was cool to meet you too.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

I have a textbook on bird anatomy, which was our saving grace.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel »

This makes me sad I didn't get to nats, because those things were exactly what I studied. I'm sure I could have medaled. :|

Oh well.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

The nest thing was kind of my own fault, because I trusted my guide for them. It would have been perfectly sufficient for a normal test. But for a station like that, it wasn't. Some of the questions were pretty vague, too.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

We really didn't have enough practice and ran out of time everywhere. At the 6 minutes at the end, we filled in random bubbles and wrote in miscellaneous answers in the blanks. I'm just glad we didn't get last.
FueL
Division: C

Post by FueL »

amerikestrel wrote:This makes me sad I didn't get to nats, because those things were exactly what I studied. I'm sure I could have medaled. :|

Oh well.
I studied that too. :( My specialty was general bird facts (I even got the Frank B. Gill textbook), but hardly any of that came up at states.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

Return to “2011 Study Events”