tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by tornado guy »

starshine wrote:
tornado guy wrote:I also liked how they pre-spaced all the teams out! :)
Definitely. But it was really quiet in the room, so when I talked, it got awkward. A 255-seater lecture hall with 20 people in it got awkward. And their lunch came in the middle of the event.
The dryline went between the places of close dewpoints and far away dewpoints, right?
I put the dryline between the sharp different dewpoints. I had a hard time finding where the cold front went.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

starshine wrote:
FueL wrote:That does sound really easy. :\ I wonder if it was the same writer who did the 2005 nats test.
I'm not sure. He had two other people helping him write it. It looked so professional too, with binders and page protectors. :D
Yes, same guy. Mike Spinar, he wrote the 2005 Severe Storm Nationals test and the 2010 Everyday Weather Nationals Test.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

rfscoach wrote:
starshine wrote:
FueL wrote:That does sound really easy. :\ I wonder if it was the same writer who did the 2005 nats test.
I'm not sure. He had two other people helping him write it. It looked so professional too, with binders and page protectors. :D
Yes, same guy. Mike Spinar, he wrote the 2005 Severe Storm Nationals test and the 2010 Everyday Weather Nationals Test.
Ok, I figured it was him. The test writing style seemed similar/familiar. :P

starshine
State: NY

Post by starshine »

tornado guy wrote: Ok, I figured it was him. The test writing style seemed similar/familiar. :P
For some reason, it didn't seem familiar to me. But then again, there were those true/false questions...
tornado guy wrote:
starshine wrote:
tornado guy wrote:I also liked how they pre-spaced all the teams out! :)
Definitely. But it was really quiet in the room, so when I talked, it got awkward. A 255-seater lecture hall with 20 people in it got awkward. And their lunch came in the middle of the event.
The dryline went between the places of close dewpoints and far away dewpoints, right?
I put the dryline between the sharp different dewpoints. I had a hard time finding where the cold front went.
Oh ok. That's what I did too. The cold/warm fronts were easy for me to identify.
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

I put the cold front where the temperature dropped a few degrees. And the warm front where there was consistent high dewpoint, and no sharp differences.

Did you split up the test or do it in order with your partner?

starshine

Post by starshine »

tornado guy wrote:I put the cold front where the temperature dropped a few degrees. And the warm front where there was consistent high dewpoint, and no sharp differences.

We did the first two questions together. Then we realized that it was really long, so we split it up. We finished everything, including checking with 7 minutes to spare.
What about you?
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

starshine wrote:
tornado guy wrote:I put the cold front where the temperature dropped a few degrees. And the warm front where there was consistent high dewpoint, and no sharp differences.

We did the first two questions together. Then we realized that it was really long, so we split it up. We finished everything, including checking with 7 minutes to spare.
What about you?
We finished the test with 5 minutes left. And then I realized for the very first question that my partner (Since we split up the test.) had accidentally looked at the wrong map for the average tornadoes... We then rushed through that part writing down the right states :P What did you put down from 1-4 for most dangerous weather events?

starshine

Post by starshine »

tornado guy wrote:
starshine wrote:

What about you?
We finished the test with 5 minutes left. And then I realized for the very first question that my partner (Since we split up the test.) had accidentally looked at the wrong map for the average tornadoes... We then rushed through that part writing down the right states :P What did you put down from 1-4 for most dangerous weather events?
Oh, that must've sucked. At least you guys checked and got it right. ;)
We put
1. Flash Flooding
2. Hurricanes
3. Lightning
4. Tornadoes

What place did you get?
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

starshine wrote: Oh, that must've sucked. At least you guys checked and got it right. ;)
We put
1. Flash Flooding
2. Hurricanes
3. Lightning
4. Tornadoes

What place did you get?
We put down
1. Lightning
2. Tornadoes
3. Hurricanes
4. Flash Flooding.. I checked out on the internet after the test and saw that we go half of it correct..
We actually got 39th :( Which after talking to you and hearing other peoples' reactions is surprising, since most of the stuff you're saying you put down I put down the same thing.

starshine

Post by starshine »

tornado guy wrote:
starshine wrote: Oh, that must've sucked. At least you guys checked and got it right. ;)
We put
1. Flash Flooding
2. Hurricanes
3. Lightning
4. Tornadoes

What place did you get?
We put down
1. Lightning
2. Tornadoes
3. Hurricanes
4. Flash Flooding.. I checked out on the internet after the test and saw that we go half of it correct..
We actually got 39th :( Which after talking to you and hearing other peoples' reactions is surprising, since most of the stuff you're saying you put down I put down the same thing.
Oh. It looks like we got the exact opposite XD
And 39th isn't bad. Plus, since the test was fairly easy, it may have been hard to separate the teams.

Return to “2011 Study Events”