Dynamic Planet B/C

havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by havenguy »

I am thinking of joining this event next year. Does anyone know what topic it is next year, and any places to start?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
The Eviscerator
Division: C
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

havenguy wrote:I am thinking of joining this event next year. Does anyone know what topic it is next year, and any places to start?
It will almost definitely be the same topic as this year (Earth's fresh water), since this year was the first year of the topic. Start with the wiki (if you didn't know that already), and look at the rules sheet.
L42 wrote:I thought the Nationals test was pretty good this year- it was exactly what was written in the rules. I felt the questions did require some knowledge of the topics- more so than in years past. I also felt the test was pretty hard. Dynamic is supposed to be run with some application-type questions- even though I personally prefer knowledge questions and would like more of them.
How did you do at nationals L42?
TYG
State: NY

Post by TYG »

gyourkoshaven wrote:I don't know about C, but I felt that the B test was too short and too heavily emphasized maps.
Yeah, it was really short, as in people started to leave after 30-40 minutes. The test was pretty easy, too. I was expecting a few near-perfect scores.
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

The Eviscerator wrote:
havenguy wrote:I am thinking of joining this event next year. Does anyone know what topic it is next year, and any places to start?
It will almost definitely be the same topic as this year (Earth's fresh water), since this year was the first year of the topic. Start with the wiki (if you didn't know that already), and look at the rules sheet.
L42 wrote:I thought the Nationals test was pretty good this year- it was exactly what was written in the rules. I felt the questions did require some knowledge of the topics- more so than in years past. I also felt the test was pretty hard. Dynamic is supposed to be run with some application-type questions- even though I personally prefer knowledge questions and would like more of them.
Wait....EVERYTHING about Earth's freshwater. That seems like a lot. Do you know if they will keep the 4 note sheets?

2016 States Results:

The Eviscerator

havenguy wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote:
Wait....EVERYTHING about Earth's freshwater. That seems like a lot. Do you know if they will keep the 4 note sheets?
Not everything. Just how it relates to shaping Earth's land and a little more. I'm not sure if they will keep the 4 note sheets, but I expect it to be reduced to 1.
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

Why would it be reduced to one?

2016 States Results:

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex »

havenguy wrote:Why would it be reduced to one?
Yeah that's interesting, you really think they'll do that? I know they had 1 for E&V but they started out with one the first year. There's just so much more vocab on this topic than E&V...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
The Eviscerator

personasaurus rex wrote:
Yeah that's interesting, you really think they'll do that? I know they had 1 for E&V but they started out with one the first year. There's just so much more vocab on this topic than E&V...
While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

The Eviscerator wrote:
personasaurus rex wrote:
While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.
Maybe it's just you?

2016 States Results:

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex »

havenguy wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote: While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.
Maybe it's just you?
No he's right. After you study a lot most of it just comes off the top of your head. It's the formulas (maybe not even the formulas) and the really specific/obscure vocab and diagrams that really need the notes. I know when I made my note sheets i was looking for stuff to fill it all up with.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

Return to “2011 Study Events”