havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2011

Post by havenguy »

rfscoach wrote:
havenguy wrote:I don't think that is allowed at states. It might also be unfair if both the teams from one school win, and two teams are allowed to go from that state. That way only 1 school would go and it wouldn't be as exciting.
States with small numbers of teams allow multiple teams from one school at the state tournament. They only send one team per division on to Nationals anyway.
I think that's fairly reasonable. It gives kids a chance to compete, and also gives them experience. But since Scioly is always growing, that might not happen in 10 or 15 years, because there will be many teams in each state.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
iYOA
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

havenguy wrote:I don't think that is allowed at states. It might also be unfair if both the teams from one school win, and two teams are allowed to go from that state. That way only 1 school would go and it wouldn't be as exciting.
maybe they can still let both teams from a school go to states but just limit nationals to one team per school so that if both teams from a school do win, only one will be able to go and the second team can be the 3rd place school.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Interesting discussion.

I know that in VA, only 19 teams in Div B competed-one per school, yet we still sent one team to nationals.

Which states allow multiple teams in states? Va is pretty small compared to Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, etc.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

Yeah, which state allows 2 teams from the same school?

2016 States Results:

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

havenguy wrote:Yeah, which state allows 2 teams from the same school?
States too small to hold regionals, example: Iowa, Maine, Oregon, Wyoming etc. States that hold Regionals but their total number of teams is less than or equal to the number they allow at State, example : Utah, Minnesota Div B. And then there is Alabama - the weird one, they send the top 20% of TEAMS (Not Schools) from Regionals on to State. From there the top 2 Schools (Not Teams) move on to Nationals (Div B only, Div C is smaller and only sends 1 team to Nats)
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

rfscoach wrote:
havenguy wrote:Yeah, which state allows 2 teams from the same school?
States too small to hold regionals, example: Iowa, Maine, Oregon, Wyoming etc. States that hold Regionals but their total number of teams is less than or equal to the number they allow at State, example : Utah, Minnesota Div B. And then there is Alabama - the weird one, they send the top 20% of TEAMS (Not Schools) from Regionals on to State. From there the top 2 Schools (Not Teams) move on to Nationals (Div B only, Div C is smaller and only sends 1 team to Nats)
Why does Alabama do that? It seems quite disorganized (no offense)

2016 States Results:

mingtian

Post by mingtian »

Maybe they have a couple of powerhouses.
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

Does anyone know what invitationals Harriton or Penncrest attend?
Also, do any Pennsylvania invitationals draw schools like Fayetteville-Manlius and Ward-Melville or West-Windsor Plainsboro?
I've heard that Athens invitational draws these teams, and that would make that invitational arguably one of the strongest in the country.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:Does anyone know what invitationals Harriton or Penncrest attend?
Also, do any Pennsylvania invitationals draw schools like Fayetteville-Manlius and Ward-Melville or West-Windsor Plainsboro?
I've heard that Athens invitational draws these teams, and that would make that invitational arguably one of the strongest in the country.
Both Penncrest and Harriton attend Conestoga, so does WWP. However, they all do go to Athens (so did Mentor from OH)
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
ILoveEgretsClub
State: NY

Post by ILoveEgretsClub »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:Does anyone know what invitationals Harriton or Penncrest attend?
Hahaha, I wish...out school district would go insane with 2 invitationals. (Gelinas attends the RCS)

WM doesn't go to any invites as far as i know.

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”