Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by paleonaps »

I think that when an event is over, anything somewhat related to it can be discussed there. But I'm sorry, I was tired and used bad judgement, can we please stop arguing?
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Sorry to double post, but would anyone be interested in me putting my binder's contents on the wiki? I won't take the time to do it if nobody wants me to.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

paleonaps wrote:Sorry to double post, but would anyone be interested in me putting my binder's contents on the wiki? I won't take the time to do it if nobody wants me to.
I'm working on a fossils list right now.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Great: I'll put my info under it then?
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

paleonaps wrote:Great: I'll put my info under it then?
It's a separate page, much like the muscle and hormone lists are. But yeah; I'm planning on doing a notedump after I get back from vacation, and you're more than welcome to do the same. The kids three years from now need our help! :D
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I just wanted to thank everyone on the forums over the past three years on this event. Everyone has helped me so much in this event, and I wouldn't have done well without your aid.
I'd also like to thank any event supervisors who are reading this. I probably didn't personally have you as mine, but at every competition I did fossils at, the specimens were magnificent.
I know that fossils was my defining event in science olympiad. It's the event that showed me the real side of this competition - I've turned from an inept studier to a state medalist because of these dead little specimens.
As we lay fossils to rest, I can only shed a tear as the event comes to a close. Three years goes by fast. Thank you, paleontology. Until we meet again....
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

I 100% agree with that. Fossils is the event that got me onto the team. I was fair at everything, but at fossils I was a beast. It was the most fun event for me to do, even if there were some unfortunate occurrences (this year at Nats) along the way. Thank you to all my event supervisors and to everyone who has helped me out.
I definitely want to go into paleontology. I've only got a few years until college, and I plan to continue to worship these dead little carcasses for eternity.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

paleonaps wrote:I 100% agree with that. Fossils is the event that got me onto the team. I was fair at everything, but at fossils I was a beast. It was the most fun event for me to do, even if there were some unfortunate occurrences (this year at Nats) along the way. Thank you to all my event supervisors and to everyone who has helped me out.
I definitely want to go into paleontology. I've only got a few years until college, and I plan to continue to worship these dead little carcasses for eternity.
It was the same with me. When I was in 7th grade, Fossils was the only event I did at Regionals; and I medalled 3rd (1st place was the kid on the varsity team who taught me everything). At Invitationals, I had picked up a couple more events, but Fossils was the only event I medalled in. I didn't go to States because I wasn't on varsity.

Then in 8th grade, the older fossil guy moved up to the high school, and I was the person who knew it the best, so I got moved on. Then I started picking up other events that needed to be covered, like Dynamic Planet and Forestry. And by 12th grade, I was a captain and I had done basically half of the study events ever offered at one point or another, and now I'm in college studying Earth Science so I can teach; the plan is for me to coach Science Olympiad as well in whatever school I'm in. So Fossils was really the event that started it all (though my major is more Rocks and Minerals than Fossils).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Thanks to all you guys for answering my (probably already answered) questions. And Google for research. And my Fossils books. And special thanks to my partner. Not much thanks to me. I slacked. :(
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Don't be so hard on yourself.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist

Return to “2011 Study Events”