robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by robotman »

Ok guys lets calm down a bit, no reason to be yelling at each other.
There is a thread for Water Quality and there is this thread.They are both technically Ecology and they are both going to be archived at the beginning of next season so there is really no difference between them in the long run. It was preferable to have two separate threads before nationals so that competitors wouldn't have to wade through a whole different topic while trying to get ready. Now that the season is over as long as one or both stay on some sort of topic there shouldn't be an issue.
So lets be civil and not let a small thing about thread titles lead to a flame war.
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by paleonaps »

Well said, robotman.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

gneissisnice wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:It is not hard to talk on a different forum.
And it's not hard to restrain yourself from typing stuff and pressing the "submit" button, but you've been doing it anyway.

As we've said countless times, talk about Ecology if you want a discussion. If there aren't any discussions on Ecology and you don't start one, then how does it hurt that we're talking about Water Quality (in the thread of the event that's replacing Ecology next year,too)?

It's not your job to police the forums. We have moderators for that and it seems that none of them have a problem.

Enough is enough. Stop butting in and complaining, it's getting very old. If you want to talk about Ecology, start a conversation. If not, we'll continue talking about Ecology's replacement for next year.
Whatever, I do what I want.
Medal Counter: 73
geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

i wish that they weren't replacing ecology with water dynamics, and i also find it kinda unneccesary, since its pretty much included in ecology already, and ecology is kind of a more broader view on everything, and water, well, you just do water. it's kind of like CJAP, but you study water, not powder. im not sure if its a written test or not, but if it includes water testing, then it should replace a lab event, not a study one (but not optics, disease detectives, or thermodynamics, because im doing those :D )
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

geekychic13 wrote:i wish that they weren't replacing ecology with water dynamics, and i also find it kinda unneccesary, since its pretty much included in ecology already, and ecology is kind of a more broader view on everything, and water, well, you just do water. it's kind of like CJAP, but you study water, not powder. im not sure if its a written test or not, but if it includes water testing, then it should replace a lab event, not a study one (but not optics, disease detectives, or thermodynamics, because im doing those :D )
Read the past few pages because I don't feel like typing the same stuff for the umpteenth time.

It is in no way similar to Powders.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
nerpas
State: MN

Post by nerpas »

gneissisnice wrote:
geekychic13 wrote:i wish that they weren't replacing ecology with water dynamics, and i also find it kinda unneccesary, since its pretty much included in ecology already, and ecology is kind of a more broader view on everything, and water, well, you just do water. it's kind of like CJAP, but you study water, not powder. im not sure if its a written test or not, but if it includes water testing, then it should replace a lab event, not a study one (but not optics, disease detectives, or thermodynamics, because im doing those :D )
Read the past few pages because I don't feel like typing the same stuff for the umpteenth time.

Gneissisnice, I think geekychic's comparison between the two events was just that they both contained a lab portion.

However, I disagree with the idea that water quality is too specific of an event. (I might be wrong, but it seems like) Water Quality contains the ecology of freshwater biomes in addition to the lab portion. So really, the scope has been broadened. (Ecology PLUS new stuff)
Whether or not the new scope is good is a different issue... ;)
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

nerpas wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:

Gneissisnice, I think geekychic's comparison between the two events was just that they both contained a lab portion.

However, I disagree with the idea that water quality is too specific of an event. (I might be wrong, but it seems like) Water Quality contains the ecology of freshwater biomes in addition to the lab portion. So really, the scope has been broadened. (Ecology PLUS new stuff)
Whether or not the new scope is good is a different issue... ;)
Still, CJAP is 100% lab skills, with basically no specific knowledge involved, while Water Quality is primarily a study event with a small, trivial lab portion.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
anatomy
State: PA

Post by anatomy »

yes, Water quality is academic plus lab, while CJAP is just lab

and they are completely different, water quality doesn't have that much chemistry involved.
never underestimate the power of anatomy
hehehe

2012 regionals: anatomy: 1st forestry: 1st microbe mission 4th
2012 states: anatomy: 3rd forestry: 4th crimebusters: 3rd microbe mission 8th
geekychic13
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

this just goes to show how little I know :)
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Can someone explain to me what water quality is please?
Medal Counter: 73

Return to “2011 Study Events”