winneratlife wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:Woo! It'll be a party. :D
♫ The party don't start 'til I walk in ♫

♫ Koko come, pick me up, luo blow the speakers up
This year, I'ma wait, 'til I can't see the campus straight
Tik tok, on the clock, now Koko's car is coming yeah
Off to nats I go! Off to nats I go! ♫

COME PICK ME UP KOKO
ME TOO. (Don't make me go with Harriton or Penncrest. I'm sure they're nice people, but...please?)
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Minnesota 2011

Post by Kokonilly »

SERIOUSLY.
:roll:

Also, if I were driving, you would all probably die...

EDIT: Winner, your song was beautiful. :P
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

Hey, sorry to revive the thread and for the double post, but is there a tentative replacement for the Wayzata invite at all? I'm assuming Huberty won't run both an invite and state, but argh blargh I want a second invite. Just Boyceville in December would be... unfortunate. No Minnesota invite >.<
I know you said you guys were going to Black River Falls or something; I was just wondering if there was any follow-up on that.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Kokonilly wrote:Hey, sorry to revive the thread and for the double post, but is there a tentative replacement for the Wayzata invite at all? I'm assuming Huberty won't run both an invite and state, but argh blargh I want a second invite. Just Boyceville in December would be... unfortunate. No Minnesota invite >.<
I know you said you guys were going to Black River Falls or something; I was just wondering if there was any follow-up on that.
Haven't heard anything yet. I agree that a second invitational would be nice, though.

Haha, I don't think a Mounds View Invitational was ever on the table. :P
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

Luo wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:Hey, sorry to revive the thread and for the double post, but is there a tentative replacement for the Wayzata invite at all? I'm assuming Huberty won't run both an invite and state, but argh blargh I want a second invite. Just Boyceville in December would be... unfortunate. No Minnesota invite >.<
Haven't heard anything yet. I agree that a second invitational would be nice, though.

Haha, I don't think a Mounds View Invitational was ever on the table. :P
Eh, I didn't think a MV invite was ever on the table either. But then, neither is an Eastview invite. So for now, we're stuck. :?
sciolycoach
Coach
Coach
State: WI

Post by sciolycoach »

Actually, probably not stuck. I run the invite in Boyceville (thanks for coming and hope to see you in December) and after talking to several WI and MN coaches am working with a university in River Falls, WI (just across the border) to run a new invite in January...we are tentatively calling it a "border battle" Science Olympiad Invitational. Since I coach a team (Boyceville) and we have greatly appreciated competing at Wayzata, we wanted to try to fill the void left from Wayzata and UW-River Falls has TENTATIVELY stepped up to the plate. It did not sound like a new MN invite was likely for next year and UWRF is a beautiful campus that will no doubt host an outstanding invite, and it is close in proximity, especially for Metro schools. Word is many professors have already signed on board as event supervisors.

The Boyceville Invite will still run next year (Dec 17) and UWRF is tentatively scheduled for Jan 21. Your coaches were just informed of this possibility on Friday as things are moving quickly now to be ready for registration in the fall.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do the best I can to answer them. Feel free to spread the word about this possible invite opportunity and I'll forward information as I learn it. MN directors/leadership have been informed too.

Also...if you have any suggestions how we can improve the Boyceville Invite please let me know too as we strive to
create a fun and memorable early season experience for all students, as well as a strong competitive opportunity. In fact, 4 of the top 20 teams from Nationals competed in one form or another at Boyceville last year.

Andy Hamm
Boyceville HS
Andy Hamm
Boyceville Science Olympiad
Boyceville, WI
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

That's fantastic! I'm a captain of Eastview's team, and thank you very much for telling us this, Mr. Hamm. A "border battle" would be great and a welcome opportunity to compete once more before regions.

Thank you for hosting the Boyceville invites; it's always fun to compete against teams from other states. I liked last year that so many teams weren't crammed into the cafeteria, and selling lunch for a while is perfect when everyone's running around (the hot chocolate is a nice touch, too :P ). I currently have no suggestions to add (it's both very fun and a great competition), but thanks again for hosting the invite! Just one question - what are you planning on doing for pre-awards entertainment next year now that Sumo Bots is gone, if anything?
sciolycoach
Coach
Coach
State: WI

Post by sciolycoach »

We have a few ideas for the post-event entertainment, including a Chemistry/Physics show possibly in the gymmatorium. We are, of course, hoping to get the awards ceremony started quickly (last year it was only about 30 minutes) as many teams have a long trip ahead of them, but we also want to make it a fun experience for all involved. We are open to suggestions, as our hope next year is to again run a 6 time block schedule with events ending at 2:30 with awards starting shortly thereafter. We are also thinking of running sumo bots as a "trial event" for anybody interested, medals awarded but no team points. We would do that during this time block. It is also possible that sumo bots will be a WI event for next year, as the five WI-only events haven't been released yet. In Wisconsin we run a 20-28 system where there are 28 total events and teams must pick 20 of those events to do for team points at state...that is why at our invite we drop a team's 5 worst events and only score 23.

I also liked the setup much better last year with much fewer teams in the cafeteria and more teams with "homerooms" in the bleachers in both gymnasiums or unused classrooms. We will definitely be doing that again this year and hopefully have no team homerooms in the cafeteria. It has been great having Eastview and the other MN teams participate as I believe the strong competition has helped many teams improve.

Andy Hamm
Boyceville HS
Andy Hamm
Boyceville Science Olympiad
Boyceville, WI

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”