Funny Stories from Nationals

emperos
Division: C
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Funny Stories from Nationals

Post by emperos »

So because we're from New Mexico, we all had sombreros this year. We were walking around campus on Friday, wearing our sombreros for their shade-giving qualities, and people kept asking us from across the street where we got them. Being honest people, we told them that we got them from New Mexico. This happened several times, and every time, we got the reply, "why do they all say that?" I dunno, could it be cos it's true? By the way, what did you all think of the sombreros?
Academy div C SO. 23 wins, 2 losses all time at State. Best record in the nation.
2002-2012: Decade. Of. Dominance.

RIP Trajectory :(
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

emperos wrote:So because we're from New Mexico, we all had sombreros this year. We were walking around campus on Friday, wearing our sombreros for their shade-giving qualities, and people kept asking us from across the street where we got them. Being honest people, we told them that we got them from New Mexico. This happened several times, and every time, we got the reply, "why do they all say that?" I dunno, could it be cos it's true? By the way, what did you all think of the sombreros?
Haha, I got a sombrero at the Swap meet and decided to bring it to Bottle Rocket...the event supervisor also thought I was from New mexico :lol:
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
emperos
State: NM

Post by emperos »

Nice. I was about to leave the swap meet with a couple friends, and a couple girls came up to us with armloads of stuff. They asked us what they would have to give us to get our hats... so we almost got a bunch of little debbie snack cakes, plus a bunch of other stuff, but at the last minute my friend decided that we like our sombreros more. Then, after nationals, the entire team changed their facebook profile picture to a group picture of us in our sombreros and shirts... it was really difficult to tell who was who in group chat...
Academy div C SO. 23 wins, 2 losses all time at State. Best record in the nation.
2002-2012: Decade. Of. Dominance.

RIP Trajectory :(
mingtian
State: PA

Post by mingtian »

fishman100 wrote:
emperos wrote:So because we're from New Mexico, we all had sombreros this year. We were walking around campus on Friday, wearing our sombreros for their shade-giving qualities, and people kept asking us from across the street where we got them. Being honest people, we told them that we got them from New Mexico. This happened several times, and every time, we got the reply, "why do they all say that?" I dunno, could it be cos it's true? By the way, what did you all think of the sombreros?
Haha, I got a sombrero at the Swap meet and decided to bring it to Bottle Rocket...the event supervisor also thought I was from New mexico :lol:
I lived in Albuquerque for 3 years!
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

geekychic13 wrote:What's really funny is that our team got 8th in state and missed going to nats by 6 places (out of 24)
No kidding. We missed going to Nats by one place- and it was only 25 points that separated us from upsetting the reigning champions. Oh well.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

butter side up wrote:
geekychic13 wrote:What's really funny is that our team got 8th in state and missed going to nats by 6 places (out of 24)
No kidding. We missed going to Nats by one place- and it was only 25 points that separated us from upsetting the reigning champions. Oh well.
Back when I was in 11th grade, we missed by 1 place and 9 points. =(
But then we made it in 12th grade, so it's all good.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

gneissisnice wrote:
butter side up wrote:
Imagine how heartbreaking it must have been for Menomonie High School in Wisconsin to miss nationals by zero points in 2010 - they tied with Madison West and lost the tiebreaker.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

Luo wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:
butter side up wrote: No kidding. We missed going to Nats by one place- and it was only 25 points that separated us from upsetting the reigning champions. Oh well.
Imagine how heartbreaking it must have been for Menomonie High School in Wisconsin to miss nationals by zero points in 2010 - they tied with Madison West and lost the tiebreaker.
Ouch, that's horrible.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

gneissisnice wrote:
Luo wrote: Imagine how heartbreaking it must have been for Menomonie High School in Wisconsin to miss nationals by zero points in 2010 - they tied with Madison West and lost the tiebreaker.
Ouch, that's horrible.
But it inspired them to work that much harder last year. You can see it in their Nationals results - 28th place in Augusta 2009 vs. 12th place in Madison 2011. That is a big jump.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

My school missed state by 1 place and 1 point. (it was something and 53 to something and 52)
Our coach started us WAY too late. And all the teacher's classes were moved so we were missing Half our stuff

Return to “2011 Nationals”