Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Forestry

Post by AlphaTauri »

tornado guy wrote:
butter side up wrote: Maybe, but for regionals for ornithology we were only allowed one guide and one page of notes per team. They told us that was the rule for regionals all the way up, and the 2 pages/ 2 guides were only allowed at invites. So when we followed that at states, they told us we could have 2.
So I guess it will depend on where you compete, but 2 pages of double-sided notes per team and 2 field guides seems to be standard for the ID events.
Depends on where you compete? Don't the rules apply the same to everyone?
When there was Forestry back in 2004 didn't they allow binders?
Well, the rules generally should apply the same everywhere, but sometimes event supervisors (especially at Regionals)...don't read the rules. Or they assume that the rules for a returning event are the same as the previous year.

Moral of the story: Make sure YOU know the official rules, and always keep a rules manual handy, especially at Regionals or Invites, in case you have to challenge (politely, of course) the event sup's interpretation of the rules.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
JSGandora
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by JSGandora »

So it's pretty certain that no binder can be used this year? I remember earlier in thread it said that when a new ID event comes along, the first year a binder may be used and the second year only 1 or 2 pages of notes can be used (plus field guides for both years).
FueL
State: NY

Post by FueL »

tornado guy wrote:
paleonaps wrote:Much better. Are we allowed to use a homemade binder this year?
As far as I know, yes.
Where did you hear this from?
JS Gandora wrote:I remember earlier in thread it said that when a new ID event comes along, the first year a binder may be used and the second year only 1 or 2 pages of notes can be used (plus field guides for both years).
Not necessarily true. For ornithology we had 1 guide and 1 page of notes the first year, then 2 guides and 2 pages of notes the second year.
butter side up wrote:Maybe, but for regionals for ornithology we were only allowed one guide and one page of notes per team.
Last year, the rules said you could have one field guide per partner for all levels of competition (regionals, states, nationals). But some of the regional supervisors didn't read the rules carefully and thought they meant one field guide per team.
JS Gandora wrote:For those of you making a binder, are you going to use it over your field guide? I'm just putting information that can't be found in the field guide in the binder because the field guide is mainly for ID, correct?
You should be able to ID the specimen instantly, while the field guide is for the questions pertaining to facts about that tree. So yeah, a binder would be better if you're willing to put a lot of work into it.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

FueL wrote:
tornado guy wrote:
paleonaps wrote:Much better. Are we allowed to use a homemade binder this year?
As far as I know, yes.
Where did you hear this from?
That is what I had been told. Didn't they allow a binder back in 2004?
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
FueL

Post by FueL »

tornado guy wrote:That is what I had been told. Didn't they allow a binder back in 2004?
Told by who? xD

Yeah, but considering that they didn't allow binders for the past two years in ornithology, it seems like the current trend is field guides over binders.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

In that case, wouldn't it be so much better to get a guide that had lots of empty space for extra notes since the original purpose of the guide is to ID things? And since you don't need the ID portion you would just use a guide for writing trivia about the tree, so then what would be the purpose of getting a field guide with pictures instead of drawings. From the wiki, Sibley (with drawings) is the only field guide that has tons of writing space and National Wildlife Federation (with pictures) has little to none.

Sorry for the questioning but now I'm even more unsettled as to which field guide I should get.
Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Where can I find old Forestry tests to study?
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

Cheesy Pie wrote:Thank you. And Nylhvsso, can you show us the practice test?
JSGandora wrote:It can be found here: http://scioly.org/wiki/2012_Test_Exchange#Forestry
blazer wrote: All of the species are contained between the eastern and western regions of the audobon, as the list was based off them. Sibley contains all but 9: Soaptree Yucca, Bebb Willow, Pacific Willow, Scouler Willow, Frosted Hawthorn, Blue Paloverde, Jumping Cholla, Red-osier Dogwood, and Kukui. NWF contains all but 4: Black Hawthorn, Frosted Hawthorn, Toyon, and Kukui.
Thanks for your reply.

For people who are going to use books that don't contain some of the trees, how are you going to deal with that? Are you just going to completely memorize those? Or would you just rather get a less practical field guide with all the trees?
Last edited by JSGandora on August 21st, 2011, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FueL

Post by FueL »

Yes, basically when you're looking for a field guide, information > pictures/ID-related sections. When my partner and I were searching for a field guide for birds, we picked the most detailed one we could find, the Smithsonian handbook. It had extensive info on habitat, behaviors, nesting, and trivia, but as a trade off each bird only had one pretty bad photo of your average male, adult, breeding-plumage specimen.

Imo, the #1 priority for picking a field guide is its content, not necessarily writing room since most books have some blank margins anyway, and if the info is already there you don't need to write it in (<-- also a major pain in the butt, and hard to keep organized). That's how it was for birds, trees might be a bit different since there are multiple aspects to IDing (profile/fruit/seed/leaf as opposed to just.. the bird).

Of course, you could always use your field guide for IDing, but the stations go by so fast you don't want to waste valuable time flipping through your guide.

Haha no problem, I remember how clueless I was when I first started out in ornithology two years ago.
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

Thanks for the advice. In that case, I'm probably going to get Sibley. I think Audobon is the only guide that has all the information however it is bad for competition because of its format and it is split into two books. Sibley has nearly as much information as Audobon and it is all in one book. National Geographic looks good too with information however it doesn't have range maps which is a big disadvantage. National Wildlife Federation doesn't much information to begin with.

Return to “2011 Study Events”