Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elevated Bridge 2009

Post by dudeincolorado »

was it glued together? it seems to be kinda of an oxymoron...
SO stressed!
Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Aia »

Well, it was one structure, but the only two pieces connecting the two sides were probably 3/32" by 3/32", if that.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how it held itself up...
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
dennism_11
Division: B

Post by dennism_11 »

i was just going over the update on the spec for the maximum height and i see they have the loading block in that height. so do you have to inclue the 20mm( the height of the loading block? to you brigde?...that doesn't seem right or am i just reading it wrong? Elevated Bridge B Rules Graphic - updated 10/08! http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... phicv2.doc

any thoughts would be appreciated
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

The loading block doesnt have to be under the 15cm height limit. If your bridge is 15 cm tall then the loading block can extend above that 15cm. So you do not have to take the height of the loading block into account while building your bridge unless you put your loading block on the bottom tension member.
dennism_11
Division: B

Post by dennism_11 »

thanks for the help. thats what i was thinking but one must know the rules, hate to get DQ'ed
take care
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

dennism_11 wrote:thanks for the help. thats what i was thinking but one must know the rules, hate to get DQ'ed
take care
Uhh, while I agree with Pleiades interpretation of the drawing, remember, this is NOT an official SO website.

If you want/need an official clarification, ask it on the national SO website. That way if some earnest (and please remember volunteer) event supervisor misinterprets the drawing as you did, you have an official source to use in your challenge/appeal if needed. This website just won't cut it at a tournament.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
croman74
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

Tested my second bridge! It was 22 grams and held 12.95 kg, giving it a structural efficiency of about 617. I know what the problem was, so my next bridge will probably hold 15kg. (hopefully)
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
Keyreaper

Post by Keyreaper »

Holy smokes!!!! 4.... Wow.... Well it was worth trying ;)...

Mine only got 454 over the competition.... And it failed it the most critical part... Had I re-enforced that with some gusset... or used it as a lap joint it would have done better...
Image <--- Woooo

"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes"

"Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe"
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

do you guys think 1/16 is too small for lateral bracing? also, we're ordering balsa soon and i was wondering what density ranges i should get. I'm absolutely clueless with density. Like i dont know what number is a high density and what number is a low density.
croman74
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

Pleiades wrote:do you guys think 1/16 is too small for lateral bracing? also, we're ordering balsa soon and i was wondering what density ranges i should get. I'm absolutely clueless with density. Like i dont know what number is a high density and what number is a low density.
I used 1/8 for lateral bracing but used 3/16 for the frame of the bridge. My bridge in all weighed 21 grams and held 13kg. After I get one bridge to hold all 15kg, I'll try smaller pieces.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

Return to “2009 Build Events”