South California

Insert Name Here
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: South California

Post by Insert Name Here »

Would anyone be brave enough to volunteer their school to host an invitationals event next year? I think it could be beneficial for all of us. [please don't ask my school to host one because well frankly, my school has enough going on] ...Thanks
I go to school at Cerro Villa MS. A neighboring school of El Rancho Charter, a once dominating science olympiad team. Rebecca Black goes to El Rancho. It's Friday everyday there. :D
mingtian
Division: C
State: PA

Post by mingtian »

Insert Name Here wrote:Would anyone be brave enough to volunteer their school to host an invitationals event next year? I think it could be beneficial for all of us. [please don't ask my school to host one because well frankly, my school has enough going on] ...Thanks
I'm pretty sure it's a very long and complicated progress. You can't suddenly just decide to hold one. It takes months of planning. http://soinc.org/invitationals

That being said, you don't have to run all the events. You pretty much just need rooms for the events you can manage to run and find people to run them. It doesn't even have to be written by coaches or parents; student written tests can be good too.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Insert Name Here wrote:Would anyone be brave enough to volunteer their school to host an invitationals event next year? I think it could be beneficial for all of us. [please don't ask my school to host one because well frankly, my school has enough going on] ...Thanks
There are many different invites that are hosted annually, such as the Solon or JC Booth invite. (or the Rustin invitational...but IDK if that's being held again. Maybe because they said "1st annual", but I digress...)

You could go to those...
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

fishman100 wrote:
There are many different invites that are hosted annually, such as the Solon or JC Booth invite. (or the Rustin invitational...but IDK if that's being held again. Maybe because they said "1st annual", but I digress...)

You could go to those...
That would be a loooong travel for someone from California! Doesn't Cal have invites?
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Insert Name Here

fishman100 wrote:

You could go to those...
Thanks for the idea but I would have to say no. It too much of a hassle to travel to another state. Haha last year, state was held down the street from me :lol: but again, thanks anyways
I go to school at Cerro Villa MS. A neighboring school of El Rancho Charter, a once dominating science olympiad team. Rebecca Black goes to El Rancho. It's Friday everyday there. :D
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

Insert Name Here wrote:
fishman100 wrote:

You could go to those...
Thanks for the idea but I would have to say no. It too much of a hassle to travel to another state. Haha last year, state was held down the street from me :lol: but again, thanks anyways
Alberquerque Academy is considering holding an invitational. That's the closest to Southern California that I know of. That would still take some time to travel, though.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
prelude to death
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by prelude to death »

With the use of PMs, Insert Name Here and I were wondering if CalTech could host an Invitational or something, since most of the supervisors at State were from CalTech anyway. However, I'm sincerely sorry if this isn't doable, because I don't want to sound like I'm trying to force anyone to host an Invitational. (Although, I always found it strange that California doesn't hold any Invitationals.)
"I like a quiet life, you know me."
Insert Name Here

prelude to death wrote:With the use of PMs, Insert Name Here and I were wondering if CalTech could host an Invitational or something, since most of the supervisors at State were from CalTech anyway. However, I'm sincerely sorry if this isn't doable, because I don't want to sound like I'm trying to force anyone to host an Invitational. (Although, I always found it strange that California doesn't hold any Invitationals.)
and yet, california always placed high at nationals. hey prelude, once i get in touch with *our coach* in leadership camp, I'll try to make it one of her priorities.
State: NY

Post by 60004 »

"please don't ask my school to host one because well frankly, my school has enough going on" and "it (sic) too much of a hassle to travel to another state" I have to say it's really hard to sympathize with your position. This is an almost-all-volunteer army, and you're whining. I ran into a CT school several years ago that had traveled nonstop on a school bus to Bloomington, IN for Nat's--and they sounded happier than you do!
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

Traveling to another state costs money. A lot of districts, like mine, provide absolutely no funding for trips outside the state, and those buses are really expensive. Also, hosting an invitational can't be done by everybody. It requires a school with enough gym-like space to accommodate the big building events, especially helicopters, and a big enough gym or auditorium to hold a closing ceremony. And, not all schools can be open to visitors on weekends. And, you can't run an invitational without recruiting at least 23 event coordinators, and that's only the bare minimum for one division. That requirement makes it very hard to run an invitational for less than 20 teams (about 400 people), which puts further strain on the space constraints. So really, Insert Name Here is hardly whining. Just saying.

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”