Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where are you going for colleges?

Post by kjhsscioly »

quizbowl wrote:I'm starting to fall in love with U of C.
People say that UChicago (what most call it) drains the life out of undergrads... one of the highest suicide rates in the country. That doesn't mean it isn't a good school, it is, but from what I hear of people spending overnight tours there, the atmosphere is just gloomy. Consider yourself warned.
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

If I may ask a question, has anyone ever heard of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)? If so, I would really appreciate it if you could PM me (as to avoid clogging this thread) with how you found it (did you already know of it, or did you find it through extensive college research?) and in your view how it ranks among other schools (do you see it among the top universities in the country, or is it closer to the local community college?).
In full color since 2006
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

Actually, if anyone is going to reply to cobra's post, please post publicly. I'm sure more than more than one person would like to know and this is partly the intent of this thread. I am also interested if anyone has something to say.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Currently, I'm considering (hoping for) University of Chicago, Columbia, and Harvard. They're all at the top of my list, as a geology undergrad. I've heard Columbia is the best for Geo undergrad in the country, and Chicago and Harvard apparently also aren't far behind. I also like Yale, but the city of New Haven is a major turn-off. Of course, Caltech is ranked highly in this category as well, but I just...don't want to be THAT far from home, I guess.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
ZekeBud
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by ZekeBud »

RPI is an excellent school with great programs in many areas of study and is particularly known for its engineering education. RPI is more well-known in the northeast, but does have strong national recognition. I don't know how much stock you put into US News and similar ranking publications, but RPI is ranked 41st in National Universities by US News (link here: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... ies/spp+50). While it won't have universal name recognition beyond the eastern US, it is still has a strong name and RPI holds an excellent reputation with employers and other schools around the nation.

I know RPI because I'm from Upstate NY and various people from my high school went to RPI (including a number of my friends). I also visited RPI when I was doing my college search (I'm a grad student now). I ended up picking Clarkson University for my undergraduate work and personally didn't find RPI to fit for me. However that shouldn't detract from Rensselaer - it only reinforces the idea that you should visit schools before you choose to go there. RPI is very comparable to (if not better than) other engineering schools, offering excellent employable skills and experiences.
Camden High School Science Olympiad 2005-2007
Clarkson University Class of 2011
The Ohio State University Chemical Engineering PhD Program
In Words and Phrases
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

harryk wrote:Ha! I see this thread right in the middle of a college research session
So right now on my list I have caltech, berkley, Colorado school of mines, and new Mexico tech
Oooo... And an interesting fact about NMT, they have a scholarship for Science Olympiad ;)
An interesting fact about Caltech, they help run the local tournaments in Southern California :P
Division: B

Post by 60004 »

smartkid222 wrote:Actually, if anyone is going to reply to cobra's post, please post publicly. I'm sure more than more than one person would like to know and this is partly the intent of this thread. I am also interested if anyone has something to say.
RPI is certainly well respected in the northeast, though I had never heard of it before moving to NY. I would very strongly suggest a visit. We went on a beautiful day, and the campus was lovely but the surroundings are.......awful. They made it clear that they provide lots of money to incoming students, but you would need to be okay with the setting or it could be a tough experience. I wouldn't say it, except I've talked to easily ten people who had the same impression!
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

If others are interested, I may be able to offer some insight into the location. Troy does not have a reputation of being the best city around. Blood isn't flowing through the streets, but there's a bit of crime, some drug rehab centers, and a few especially bad neighborhoods (but I don't know why you would want to go in a neighborhood, seeing as everything to do is in the commercial areas, which aren't as bad). A group of students can go enjoy the city without much worry, but I would be uncomfortable going out alone, especially at night.

But RPI students can be shielded from Troy if they wish. Campus security is excellent, so students generally feel very safe. It's in the city, but most academic, research, and student housing buildings are fairly secluded. A lot of popular events are also in Albany or other nearby towns.

So on the whole, the surroundings certainly don't add anything, but students shouldn't have fear.
In full color since 2006
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Yeah, I looked a RPI...good school, but surrounding area and life in general just seemed meh. I have family who graduated from there who said the same thing.

Plus if I recall correctly they don't stack internal scholarships, and the highest one available covers somewhere around half the cost of attendance.
geminicross
Division: C
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

Vanderbilt Hopefully (Poly Sci)

Return to “General Chat”