What are Invitationals?

geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What are Invitationals?

Post by geekychic13 »

our invitationals is division b and division c. did i mention my school was really big? we had 7 alternates last year. for division b. that wasn't even all the people who tried out and didnt make it.
Cheesy Pie wrote:Wait - you have Div B invites? My school doesn't...
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
butter side up
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

Yeah, we have a pretty big team. Around 40ish last year. The good thing about that is we have lots of support from either our non-competitors at that particular competition or we steal some of the alternates from our B team, like my sister. They are really helpful in keeping our team together and functional (ie. "You have an event every period. We are assigning someone to bring you food so you don't pass out") and are really important. They also are good to send as runners ("Oh crud... I need goggles. Please go get some from home base and bring them here before my event starts!") The other good thing about having a large team is that we can send two teams to invites. We try to get every member of our team to compete at least twice, so the invites are good for that, too.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

We had about 74 try out last year (not even 10% of the school... :'C). 30 made it as regulars. 2 were alternates.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

We had 16 people out of our school's ~1100. That's around 1.5% You're really lucky to get 74 people, much less 10% of your entire school... :?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Cheesy Pie

Post by Cheesy Pie »

We have about 1100 students. 15 make varsity. 15 make JV. 1 Varsity alternate. 1 JV alternate.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
geekychic13
Division: B

Post by geekychic13 »

EDIT:sorry.....
lol anyway at first i thought your team was huge, but then, there's 15 people per team and we have two teams, plus like9 alternates, so yeah. :)
butter side up wrote:Yeah, we have a pretty big team. Around 40ish last year. The good thing about that is we have lots of support from either our non-competitors at that particular competition or we steal some of the alternates from our B team, like my sister. They are really helpful in keeping our team together and functional (ie. "You have an event every period. We are assigning someone to bring you food so you don't pass out") and are really important. They also are good to send as runners ("Oh crud... I need goggles. Please go get some from home base and bring them here before my event starts!") The other good thing about having a large team is that we can send two teams to invites. We try to get every member of our team to compete at least twice, so the invites are good for that, too.
Last edited by geekychic13 on August 27th, 2011, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Cheesy Pie

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Ahem. That was NOT necessary. Please don't spam useful threads. Although I really should not be talking...
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

GO GREEN GO WHITE
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly »

Cheesy Pie wrote:We had about 74 try out last year (not even 10% of the school... :'C). 30 made it as regulars. 2 were alternates.
Wow! KJHS has really gotten more people into scioly... when I was there, we had 60 come to the info meeting, and cave would scare off about 10 or 15 of them, so 45 or 50 actually tried out.
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

So over a hundred people trying out for SO is actually quite a lot? Because we've had that number for the past three or four years. Getting pretty big, then...
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Yes, considering only 15 are required to fill a team. Since we're not really a prodigious school in SO terms, we've struggled in the past just to get to 15, and in my three years, we've never actually competed with 15, although we've had alternates. Hopefully this year we manage to get at least 20, and maybe we'll even have enough for two teams. :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2011 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”