Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by NYLHVSSO »

Read again. A few paragraphs on each family, and 1/3 of page to one whole page for species.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

Hm, well again, the problem is the supervisors using the Audobon guides for testing. But then again, if you have a guide with lots of information, then that won't be too much of a problem either. Sibley has lots of writing space but you don't want to write too much, NWF doesn't have much (extra) information. By extra information, I mean besides the normal ID stuff and range maps, like how they're used and such.
missionimpossible
State: MI

Post by missionimpossible »

Besides a field guide, are we allowed any other resources?
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

In the Preliminary thread, someone said that only one sheet of paper front and back per team. It's not confirmed yet though. He said he was 99% sure. All we can do is wait until the rules come out.
Vizard007
State: CA

Post by Vizard007 »

So, I was wondering.... the field guide for Forestry sold by the SO company... when it says "East" or "West." Would it be ideal to purchase both of them? Or just one of them depending on where we live?
It's so easy, even a Badger could do it.
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

I would think that your state would test on trees in their own region so if you live in the east, purchase the east, likewise the west...but if you live in the middle of the country...good luck. :D But for nationals, they're definitely testing on both east and west so both would be needed. There are better guides out there than Audobon though...
JKrafsur
State: CO

Post by JKrafsur »

OK, I'm about ready to buy my field guide, but I really want to know what other people are buying first. Obviously, most are buying Sibley or Audobon. I heard about NWF. I am worried like the comments a few above me that Science O is speciafically going to ask questions around the Audobon field guide. What are you buying and which one is the best?
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

JKrafsur wrote:OK, I'm about ready to buy my field guide, but I really want to know what other people are buying first. Obviously, most are buying Sibley or Audobon. I heard about NWF. I am worried like the comments a few above me that Science O is speciafically going to ask questions around the Audobon field guide. What are you buying and which one is the best?
Some local event supervisors I've spoken to in the past have said that they intentionally AVOID asking questions out of the recommended guides. Also remember that if a National Event Supervisor wrote the rules, they are only responsible for writing the National Test. That is one test out of the 300+ forestry tests that will be written and used in Invites, Regions, States and Nats this year.

Some National Event supervisors also run events at the state and regional level and will write tests for those too. As an example, Chalker comes to mind. If you are on an Ohio team going to Nationals, you should have a very good idea on what to expect on the national Optics test.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

I'm stuck between getting Sibley and NWF. I can't find any sample pages for NWF and the sample pages for Sibley are impossible to read. Does anyone have any opinions on which guide is better?
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

I have just found out that the National Wildlife Federation Guide is organized by leaf shape, which is a huge disadvantage in my opinion. If you want to study taxonomy then it is an even bigger disadvantage. I think I'm going to get Sibley.

Return to “2012 Study Events”