iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by iwonder »

What does everything think the chances of getting a perfect score at national's being? It seems you would have to move rather fast and accurate to move everything in time.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Based on performance at the national trial, high. One team did it in practice and was close during the official run. But I don't THINK it will be like junkyard a few years back where perfect scores were common.

One opinion.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

jander14indoor wrote:Based on performance at the national trial, high. One team did it in practice and was close during the official run. But I don't THINK it will be like junkyard a few years back where perfect scores were common.

One opinion.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
I agree. I don't think they'll be common, but I do think most (if not all) of the medalling teams will have perfect scores. So 5 or 6 would be my prediction.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

jander14indoor wrote:Based on performance at the national trial, high. One team did it in practice and was close during the official run. But I don't THINK it will be like junkyard a few years back where perfect scores were common.

One opinion.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

And a rather expert opinion at that;)

Keep in mind that the playing field is about 15% smaller this year, thus the objects don't need to be moved as far (which I assume would reduce the amount of time needed)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME
Been thanked: 0

Post by starpug »

I don't think there are many building events where you can not get a perfect score and still medal at nationals.

The question then is, is someone going to figure out a way to be perfect with only 1 motor. If that ends up being impossible, but I'm sure atleast one of the juggernauts will figure it out, than it becomes who will be good enough with Solidworks, CAD or whatever program and have the best technical documentation.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

I know this isnt a place for clarification... However... What would define a penumatic or hydrolic motor? Would it have to produce rotational forces, or would any kind of force qualify it as a motor?
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

starpug wrote:I don't think there are many building events where you can not get a perfect score and still medal at nationals.

The question then is, is someone going to figure out a way to be perfect with only 1 motor. If that ends up being impossible, but I'm sure atleast one of the juggernauts will figure it out, than it becomes who will be good enough with Solidworks, CAD or whatever program and have the best technical documentation.
With the current set of rules, only Robot Arm has a "perfect score." All of the others are theoretically (although of course not practically) unlimited.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

chalker7 wrote:
starpug wrote:I don't think there are many building events where you can not get a perfect score and still medal at nationals.

With the current set of rules, only Robot Arm has a "perfect score." All of the others are theoretically (although of course not practically) unlimited.
I was of course referring to events like Robot Ramble, Trajectory, Mission Possible, Junkyard, etc where a perfect score is possible.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

Guys, I think I just figured out a way to get all points using 1 motor.
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

First of all, I just want to say that I'm impressed by the amount of useful discussion in this thread! I noticed that in my team, at least a third of all our new freshmen intend to do Robot Arm, since the idea of building robots must appeal to a lot of people. Looks like that happened around the country too!

One thing I've been wondering about is the definition of a motor. I intend to submit a clarification as soon as possible, but until then, I'll post here. Obviously, a rotating axle powered by electromagnets is a motor. But, what about just a permanent magnet that can be moved by an electromagnet, in a linear way? Or what about a piece of ferrous metal moved by an electromagnet? Or an electromagnet that can pick up nails? All of those add a degree of freedom to the robot, but I doubt that all of them count as motors.

Return to “2012 Build Events”