Disease Detective B/C

butter side up
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Post by butter side up »

mnstrviola wrote:so, the topic this year is still food borne illnesses, right?
Yes. This means that the test will probably look just like usual, but the case studies will probably be food-borne diseases, like salmonella or kuru. Also, the sections where you match diseases with specific outbreaks or the type of disease (bacterial, fungal, prion, etc.) will focus on food-borne diseases and outbreaks. For the most part, these tests stay pretty similar, so your notes and studying should, too. Just focus on some of the food-borne diseases when you study. Our note sheet had a chart of about half a page chart with common f-b diseases, incubation period, symptoms, treatment, common foods it is found in, etc.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
deezee
Division: C
State: IL

Post by deezee »

like last year usually the main part of the test would be on *food borne illness* but then sometimes some trivia like "match this disease with pathogen" type thing could be added in
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
dustykingwood
Division: B
State: TX

Post by dustykingwood »

butter side up wrote:
mnstrviola wrote:so, the topic this year is still food borne illnesses, right?
Yes. This means that the test will probably look just like usual, but the case studies will probably be food-borne diseases, like salmonella or kuru. Also, the sections where you match diseases with specific outbreaks or the type of disease (bacterial, fungal, prion, etc.) will focus on food-borne diseases and outbreaks. For the most part, these tests stay pretty similar, so your notes and studying should, too. Just focus on some of the food-borne diseases when you study. Our note sheet had a chart of about half a page chart with common f-b diseases, incubation period, symptoms, treatment, common foods it is found in, etc.

Hey did y'all here bout the breakout or lysteria from cantaloupes grown in Colorado? So far a total count of sixteen people have died and another three cases are being investigated. This is the largest breakout since three years ago when nine people died from sallmonella in peanuts
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

This event seems so confusing!!!!!!! :? Can anyone explain to me what we have to learn? I know there is a certain type of graph and that we have to know some vocabulary, but what else? Could you explain that again, in more simple terms? Please? :oops:
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

silverheart7 wrote:This event seems so confusing!!!!!!! :? Can anyone explain to me what we have to learn? I know there is a certain type of graph and that we have to know some vocabulary, but what else? Could you explain that again, in more simple terms? Please? :oops:
For this event, you need to understand how outbreaks of diseases are investigated. This involves interpreting data, being comfortable with terminology, and showing good understanding of the presented scenarios.

There are more than enough resources on the Science Olympiad event page
A VERY good place to start is with the Training Handout
You can also take a look at the PowerPoint, and at the SciOly Wiki page.
Once you're comfortable with the event, you can do somepractice tests.

Good luck!
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
silverheart7 wrote:This event seems so confusing!!!!!!! :? Can anyone explain to me what we have to learn? I know there is a certain type of graph and that we have to know some vocabulary, but what else? Could you explain that again, in more simple terms? Please? :oops:
For this event, you need to understand how outbreaks of diseases are investigated. This involves interpreting data, being comfortable with terminology, and showing good understanding of the presented scenarios.

Good luck!
Thank you! Good luck to you too! :lol:
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
pafrotte
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by pafrotte »

Does anyone really understand what this event is about? I thought at first it was just about diagnosing a food borne-illness. So should we be studying epidemiology too or what?... confused but getting there
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

pafrotte wrote:Does anyone really understand what this event is about? I thought at first it was just about diagnosing a food borne-illness. So should we be studying epidemiology too or what?... confused but getting there
This event is all about epidemiology. Your main task in the event will often be to follow epidemiological procedure on several case studies. You'll have to calculate comparative rates and ratios, evaluate and apply different epidemiological study designs, and suggest courses of action to prevent or combat epidemics. Sometimes you'll get questions about diagnoses, but by no means is that a major part of the event.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

pafrotte wrote:Does anyone really understand what this event is about? I thought at first it was just about diagnosing a food borne-illness. So should we be studying epidemiology too or what?... confused but getting there
For this event, you need to understand how outbreaks of diseases, specifically food-borne ones, are investigated. This involves interpreting data, being comfortable with terminology, and showing good understanding of the presented scenarios.

Good luck!
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
French_Toast
Division: C
State: OH

Post by French_Toast »

I don't mean to be rude here when I say this, but it might come off as such because I'm tired and beginning to get sick, so bear with me.

When you're new to an event, and you come to the forums for help, please do not just ask "What do I need to know to be good at this event" or "What is this event about." You waste everyone's time. You should have a copy of the rules, and they list everything you need to know. If you have questions about what a certain part of the rules mean, or don't understand a certain topic, feel free to ask, and people will be more than happy to help. But don't walk in here and say "Teach me" and expect to get anything worthwhile out of it.

Anyways, looking forward to this event again this year, hoping to grab a gold for the first time. Gonna be rough since Solon is the reigning champion in the event, but I should be able to sneak one out, or get it at regionals when Solon isn't there.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing

Return to “2012 Study Events”