Remote Sensing C

haverstall
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by haverstall »

Well, I don't have a packet, but I did take a test recently. I haven't been able to review it, but from what I remember, we needed to know a little bit about the atmosphere and some stuff dealing with erosion due to hurricanes. I'll probably be a bit more descriptive when I look at the test after winter break. Still, wouldn't necessarily be indicative of all tests; Nationals was proof of that last year.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
cngu23
Division: C
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

haverstall wrote:Well, I don't have a packet, but I did take a test recently. I haven't been able to review it, but from what I remember, we needed to know a little bit about the atmosphere and some stuff dealing with erosion due to hurricanes. I'll probably be a bit more descriptive when I look at the test after winter break. Still, wouldn't necessarily be indicative of all tests; Nationals was proof of that last year.
The atmosphere is a major component of remote sensing, such as meteorology.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
haverstall

Post by haverstall »

cngu23 wrote:
haverstall wrote:Well, I don't have a packet, but I did take a test recently. I haven't been able to review it, but from what I remember, we needed to know a little bit about the atmosphere and some stuff dealing with erosion due to hurricanes. I'll probably be a bit more descriptive when I look at the test after winter break. Still, wouldn't necessarily be indicative of all tests; Nationals was proof of that last year.
The atmosphere is a major component of remote sensing, such as meteorology.
Well, that specific topic (atmosphere) never really has come up on any of my other tests, which is why I was surprised by it. Even Nationals, I don't recall a question like that; then again, I didn't do the entire test.

cngu23

Post by cngu23 »

Not sure about nationals, but for regionals in Maryland, a large section was on gasses in the atmosphere and their contribution to global warming.
The other sections were mainly on satellites and acronyms.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
12 MD Regional/State
11 MD Regional
haverstall

Post by haverstall »

Oh, ok. This question was more related to the meteorologic aspect of the atmosphere, so it was asking about the layers of the atmosphere.

QPkid
State: MO

Post by QPkid »

Xann101 wrote:Hey i was wondering if there are any websites that might help me study being that i was kinda thrown in this event.
I found this website, http://www.ebsinstitute.com/rs.ebs.html, that is also a pretty good introduction to remote sensing. It may be a bit elementary, but I thought the activities helped me understand satellite images better, especially since this is my first year in Remote Sensing too.
First year in Div. C: Thermodynamics, Remote Sensing, Exp. Design
cngu23

Post by cngu23 »

QPkid wrote:
Xann101 wrote:Hey i was wondering if there are any websites that might help me study being that i was kinda thrown in this event.
I found this website, http://www.ebsinstitute.com/rs.ebs.html, that is also a pretty good introduction to remote sensing. It may be a bit elementary, but I thought the activities helped me understand satellite images better, especially since this is my first year in Remote Sensing too.
That site can be helpful for starting to interpret satellite images. However, from my experience, satellite images make up around 20-30% of the tests. You should later try the NASA website and research the major satellites and satellite programs.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
12 MD Regional/State
11 MD Regional
QPkid
State: MO

Post by QPkid »

cngu23 wrote:
That site can be helpful for starting to interpret satellite images. However, from my experience, satellite images make up around 20-30% of the tests. You should later try the NASA website and research the major satellites and satellite programs.
Wow only 20-30%? I thought almost the entire test was looking at images. That really helps with the direction of my studying, thanks! :D
First year in Div. C: Thermodynamics, Remote Sensing, Exp. Design
cngu23

Post by cngu23 »

It may vary. Last year in regionals, my test was around 30% questions on atmosphere composition and effects of global climate change, and around 50% was defining terms related to remote sensing.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
12 MD Regional/State
11 MD Regional
haverstall

Post by haverstall »

QPkid wrote:
cngu23 wrote:
Wow only 20-30%? I thought almost the entire test was looking at images. That really helps with the direction of my studying, thanks! :D
From my experience, there's about 3-4 pictures with around 5-6 questions. But, usually, my partner and I split up, so that one does imagery and the other does the other problems (like terms, physics problems), because we consider it to be a vital section. I would say while it may not seem like a big part of RS, definitely work on it. If I recall correctly, the Nationals test last year had a lot of imagery.

Return to “2012 Study Events”