Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Postby zyzzyva980 » January 8th, 2012, 3:08 pm

I'm really wondering what it is in Alabama junior high curriculum that keeps you up past midnight, sometimes to two in the morning.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Postby illusionist » January 8th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I'm really wondering what it is in Alabama junior high curriculum that keeps you up past midnight, sometimes to two in the morning.
I also want an answer to that question.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby kjhsscioly » January 8th, 2012, 4:26 pm

I don't know about nght, but since I am tired after school, I nap for at east 2 hours on mst day, which is why, as a net total I get around 7. Also it depends a lot on my homework load. Sometimes I can go to bed at 8 and get 10 hours of sleep (rare) A middle load results in 5.5 to 6, especially considering I have to get up at 5:30/6 most days. You also have to take into account that I came home at 5:45, so I can't start anything until 6:15, and there is time for unwinding/dinner/other things, and oh yeah, this mysterious concept called "fun" which happens to occur on rare occasions. All accounted, I end up spending 3ish hours on homework, 1 hour on any given extracurricular, and the remainder of my time doing house things. So it really isn't much of a stretch that even middle schoolers get to bed at 11 or midnight. If anything, my middle school teachers gave MORE work than my high school teachers, because I was in a demanding program.

tornado guy
State: WA

Postby tornado guy » January 8th, 2012, 5:52 pm

I also want to know why forever starts school at 7:00 in the morning.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

mnstrviola
WikiMod Emeritus
WikiMod Emeritus
State: CA

Postby mnstrviola » January 8th, 2012, 5:54 pm

I start at 7:10. It's 0 period Spanish I, for people who already have an elective but want to do Spanish I too. That way, I can do orchestra and Spanish I.

illusionist
State: MI

Postby illusionist » January 8th, 2012, 6:33 pm

"Congratulations, illusionist. With your total posts of 732 and 4 stars, we\'ve decided to grant you the position of a scioly.org moderator. Welcome!
Click here to accept: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/memberlist.php ... le&u=13303

Btw, this is all a joke. I\'m just really bored right now................ hence the fact I actually looked all this up >.>"
:|
Last edited by illusionist on January 8th, 2012, 7:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » January 8th, 2012, 6:39 pm

"Congratulations, illusionist. With your total posts of 732 and 4 stars, we\'ve decided to grant you the position of a scioly.org moderator. Welcome!

Btw, this is all a joke. I\'m just really bored right now................ hence the fact I actually looked all this up >.>"

Lolwut?

tornado guy
State: WA

Postby tornado guy » January 8th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Lolwut?
Apparently he said JimR sent him that.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

SciBomb97
State: AL

Postby SciBomb97 » January 8th, 2012, 7:13 pm

I also want an answer to that question.
Zero period starts at 7:00, and quite a few students at our school take it. It's for those who would like to take Spanish/jazz band, but don't want to sacrifice some course for it.
There really is nothing in the curriculum (nor any combination of things) that would keep a regular student up past midnight (unless you're someone trying to keep his/her 105 GPA polished up and looking good, which is about nobody), except for maybe the odd project or two, which the nerds tend to finish with time left over. But, since our school has a tendency to make it to nationals like every year, a few of us tend to prepare for nats early on. That's usually what keeps me up past midnight. Sometimes, our English teacher gets a little homework happy ( :| ) and gives us an assignment involving art. On top of all other things, artistic homework takes forever (for me), so something like that may keep a person up.
We've had some teammates have close brushes with national titles in the past, but I don't think we've ever actually had a gold medalist in a study event before. We've had a silver though (not bad for the deep south). :P
foreverphysics is NOT your typical specimen of a student. More like more-intellectual-than-most-people-can-imagine-or-feel-comfortable-with. :lol:
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby paleonaps » January 8th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Wait, most people don't have normal first period at 7:05?
It's 10:58, and I'm still doing my Exploravision project. We have to hand them in tomorrow, and I'm waiting on my partner's bibliography.
/puts Colt M1911 in mouth
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Return to “General Chat”