State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by OldSpice »

haverstall wrote:
QPkid wrote:
cngu23 wrote:
That site can be helpful for starting to interpret satellite images. However, from my experience, satellite images make up around 20-30% of the tests. You should later try the NASA website and research the major satellites and satellite programs.
Wow only 20-30%? I thought almost the entire test was looking at images. That really helps with the direction of my studying, thanks! :D
From my experience, there's about 3-4 pictures with around 5-6 questions. But, usually, my partner and I split up, so that one does imagery and the other does the other problems (like terms, physics problems), because we consider it to be a vital section. I would say while it may not seem like a big part of RS, definitely work on it. If I recall correctly, the Nationals test last year had a lot of imagery.
I've done remote sensing at 3 tournaments and I've seen huge variances at all three.
Athens last year was about 30% image analysis and the rest split between questions on the environment and physics problems.
My regional last year had zero image analysis and it was about 80% questions on the environment.
I didn't do it at states last year and I don't remember what my teammate said about that.
And then two days ago at Athens, the test was 90% image analysis and the only other questions were to define acronyms.

has anyone else seen that much variation between tests?
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

OldSpice wrote:And then two days ago at Athens, the test was 90% image analysis and the only other questions were to define acronyms.
I wouldn't agree with you completely there... they did have some questions on the environment and hydrosphere that was relevant to each of the individual questions. However, I will agree with you that it was mostly image analysis: probably 75% images, 15% hydrosphere, and 10% acronyms. Personally, I think this is about what it should be, perhaps more like 60% analysis, 30% hydrosphere, and 10% acronyms.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
hexagonaria
Division: C
State: OH

Post by hexagonaria »

exactly what kind of things do they ask about the images? I've heard about finding the area of features, but that can't be everything.
DFTBA
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

They might tell you to compare two images and ask what happened. Or tell you to identify a specific thing on the image, such as "what does the brown spot indicate?"
They might also ask what type of "color" is the picture (false, true, panchromatic...)

It really differs, I would suggest going to the test exchange to find some more example questions.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
OldSpice

Post by OldSpice »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
OldSpice wrote:And then two days ago at Athens, the test was 90% image analysis and the only other questions were to define acronyms.
I wouldn't agree with you completely there... they did have some questions on the environment and hydrosphere that was relevant to each of the individual questions. However, I will agree with you that it was mostly image analysis: probably 75% images, 15% hydrosphere, and 10% acronyms. Personally, I think this is about what it should be, perhaps more like 60% analysis, 30% hydrosphere, and 10% acronyms.
Eh, you're probably right, that whole day is kind of hazy to me anyways.
Also, I agree, that test was actually pretty enjoyable. Mostly because I love image analysis haha
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
Xann101
State: TX

Post by Xann101 »

Most of the info I find is very vague and what I do find are small tid bit's of info. Can anyone refer any website besides NASA or Wikipedia?
OldSpice

Post by OldSpice »

Xann101 wrote:Most of the info I find is very vague and what I do find are small tid bit's of info. Can anyone refer any website besides NASA or Wikipedia?
Try looking for remote sensing textbooks on amazon or at a local used book store.
They're pretty expensive on amazon but you might find a good deal elsewhere. I personally happen to have a really nice used book store about 10 minutes from my school.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Try this site, as well as our own Remote Sensing Wiki, if you haven't already.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

I've done remote sensing at 3 tournaments and I've seen huge variances at all three.
Athens last year was about 30% image analysis and the rest split between questions on the environment and physics problems.
My regional last year had zero image analysis and it was about 80% questions on the environment.
I didn't do it at states last year and I don't remember what my teammate said about that.
And then two days ago at Athens, the test was 90% image analysis and the only other questions were to define acronyms.

has anyone else seen that much variation between tests?
I've only done two tests (NY states and Nationals when I was in 12th grade), but both were very different. The first was more environmental/weather stuff, but was more or less balanced. But Nationals was almost entirely about satellites and image analysis with like one question on the environment. So depending on the event writer, it can vary a lot.

This is true for a lot of events though. Like for Food Science, I've seen everything from cooking questions and labeling diagrams of an egg to questions solely about chemistry with barely anything food related.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
greywolfst1
State: NE

Post by greywolfst1 »

hexagonaria wrote:exactly what kind of things do they ask about the images? I've heard about finding the area of features, but that can't be everything.
I suggest looking at the posted tests in the Remote Sensing Test Exchange. Not all exams will be written like these, but it is a good start for the kind questions you may encounter.

Return to “2012 Study Events”