OldSpice
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by OldSpice »

JSGandora wrote:You have a record button on your thermometer? o.O
We have a temperature probe that you can plug into your computer via USB and it'll make graphs for you. Incredibly useful for this event.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
blazer
State: MO

Post by blazer »

JimY wrote: I'm wondering whether or not the event rule writers realized what they were getting us into, especially for B division.
Keep the Heat has no ice water component, thus making part 1 thirty times easier, in my estimation.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
OldSpice

Post by OldSpice »

blazer wrote:
JimY wrote: I'm wondering whether or not the event rule writers realized what they were getting us into, especially for B division.
Keep the Heat has no ice water component, thus making part 1 thirty times easier, in my estimation.
Is the ice water component even worth doing? I kind of ignored it as a dumb idea.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
NinjaChicken
State: MI

Post by NinjaChicken »

OldSpice wrote: Is the ice water component even worth doing? I kind of ignored it as a dumb idea.
It depends on how well your device insulates. For the larger volumes, I think it's worth it, at least for my device.
Image Image
OldSpice

Post by OldSpice »

NinjaChicken wrote:
OldSpice wrote: Is the ice water component even worth doing? I kind of ignored it as a dumb idea.
It depends on how well your device insulates. For the larger volumes, I think it's worth it, at least for my device.
Well what I'm saying is, are the points gained significant enough to warrant the extra effort that you need to do to determine the most efficient amount of ice water for each set of variables? Would it be more efficient to use your time doing the standard testing, refining your device, and studying thermodynamics?
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

We did. And actually, this is an interesting comment, most of the issues that were raised before the season were that this event was going to be too simple, not too complicated.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
NinjaChicken
State: MI

Post by NinjaChicken »

OldSpice wrote: Well what I'm saying is, are the points gained significant enough to warrant the extra effort that you need to do to determine the most efficient amount of ice water for each set of variables? Would it be more efficient to use your time doing the standard testing, refining your device, and studying thermodynamics?
That's why we have two team members. One, (me), builds and tests the device, and the other studies thermodynamics. I think any possible points are beneficial, and it's not like I don't know anything about the written test. To each their own, I suppose.
Image Image
blazer
State: MO

Post by blazer »

OldSpice wrote:
NinjaChicken wrote:
Well what I'm saying is, are the points gained significant enough to warrant the extra effort that you need to do to determine the most efficient amount of ice water for each set of variables? Would it be more efficient to use your time doing the standard testing, refining your device, and studying thermodynamics?
At the last invitational I attended (a fairly large one), not one team (including the winner) used ice water.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
OldSpice

Post by OldSpice »

blazer wrote:
OldSpice wrote:
NinjaChicken wrote: It depends on how well your device insulates. For the larger volumes, I think it's worth it, at least for my device.
At the last invitational I attended (a fairly large one), not one team (including the winner) used ice water.
See that's what I thought. I feel like it's not something that will be widely utilized.
You're effectively doubling the amount of testing you need to do for a small amount of points. Points that unless your device is perfect and you're getting perfect scores on practice tests could be easily gained by working on other parts of the event, points that don't need ridiculous amounts of time spent on them.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]

Return to “2012 Lab Events”