Fermi Questions C

rkoopma2
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by rkoopma2 »

How much do you guys study for this event? It seems like you can't really study anything -- just practice
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

rkoopma2 wrote:How much do you guys study for this event? It seems like you can't really study anything -- just practice
I personally do not study much, but I suppose the two main ways (other than practicing problems) would be to either memorize specific commonly used numbers or to read books and/or websites that contain numerical trivia.
slytherin-at-heart
State: NC

Post by slytherin-at-heart »

Other than doing practice question and gathering basic knowledge that might be helpful, does anyone else have a way to study for this? I'm afraid that I'll get bored of just doing practice problems rather quickly.
2012 Events: Remote Sensing, Experimental Design, Forensics, Fermi Questions
OldSpice
State: NY

Post by OldSpice »

slytherin-at-heart wrote:Other than doing practice question and gathering basic knowledge that might be helpful, does anyone else have a way to study for this? I'm afraid that I'll get bored of just doing practice problems rather quickly.
I don't know about others, but I'm really good at retaining numbers. So personally I just read random fact books, webpages, etc.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

I got 4th at the Athens - 42 questions, finished in 33 minutes. No unusual questions, some funky math ones (23! * 34! * 41!, I think) and a few general randomness ones. Great job to Solon, I heard you guys got 32 5's or something :O
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
Ohai

Post by Ohai »

I haven't faced any factorials in any of the tournaments I've been to. They must not be that popular in the Kansas region... But just in case, how would one ideally (quickly, fairly accurately) find a factorial during a Fermi Test? Or do you just have to memorize general ones?
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by 49ers »

Ohai wrote:I haven't faced any factorials in any of the tournaments I've been to. They must not be that popular in the Kansas region... But just in case, how would one ideally (quickly, fairly accurately) find a factorial during a Fermi Test? Or do you just have to memorize general ones?
I have been wondering about this as well. I had one question at an invitational that had three factorials multiplied by each other (something like 23!*34!*45!).
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

49ers wrote:I have been wondering about this as well. I had one question at an invitational that had three factorials multiplied by each other (something like 23!*34!*45!).
quizbowl wrote:I got 4th at the Athens - 42 questions, finished in 33 minutes. No unusual questions, some funky math ones (23! * 34! * 41!, I think) and a few general randomness ones. Great job to Solon, I heard you guys got 32 5's or something :O
:P

I'd probably round the numbers in the factorial to get 23! as 1*1*1*1*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*20*20*20*20*20*20*20*20*20, and then combine that to get (10^10)*(10^9)*(2^9). Since 2^9 is 512, that would be a factor of 19+3=22. However, I don't really do Fermi, so I don't know if you can round like that.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Ohai

Post by Ohai »

EASTstroudsburg13
That's actually just what I was thinking of, rounding the factors to their nearest tens. If I ever face one, I'll probably skip it and go back to it on the test. But, like I said before, I've never seen one and didn't even know they were on any Fermi tests until just a while ago.
Ohai

Post by Ohai »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
49ers wrote:I have been wondering about this as well. I had one question at an invitational that had three factorials multiplied by each other (something like 23!*34!*45!).
quizbowl wrote:I got 4th at the Athens - 42 questions, finished in 33 minutes. No unusual questions, some funky math ones (23! * 34! * 41!, I think) and a few general randomness ones. Great job to Solon, I heard you guys got 32 5's or something :O
:P

I'd probably round the numbers in the factorial to get 23! as 1*1*1*1*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*20*20*20*20*20*20*20*20*20, and then combine that to get (10^10)*(10^9)*(2^9). Since 2^9 is 512, that would be a factor of 19+3=22. However, I don't really do Fermi, so I don't know if you can round like that.
Sorry, I messed up the quote on my last post.

Return to “2012 Study Events”