illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by illusionist »

illusionist wrote:
sachleen wrote:
illusionist wrote:If the robot is within the 30 x 30 box at the beginning of the run, but the back end of the robot exits the back edge of the 30 x 30 square during a run, is that a violation? I couldn't find any mention of it in the rules.
I think 6.c.v addresses that.
How did I miss that...
Thanks.
Actually, let me rephrase my question. Our robot sits on a base that pivots in the center (to turn side to side). The arm is attached to the base and the whole base spins on top of a piece of wood. Now, as we turn side to side, the robot base base (not the piece of wood) will go past the Arm Square. I think this is legal because rule 6.c.v is meant to prevent mobile robot arms. Rule 3.a states that "The Arm is not restricted to these dimensions during the run". So, it should be legal if the robot base crosses the 30 x 30 square during the run, so long as it isn't touching the floor, correct? It's not any different than the actual arm crossing the square.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

illusionist wrote: Actually, let me rephrase my question. Our robot sits on a base that pivots in the center (to turn side to side). The arm is attached to the base and the whole base spins on top of a piece of wood. Now, as we turn side to side, the robot base base (not the piece of wood) will go past the Arm Square. I think this is legal because rule 6.c.v is meant to prevent mobile robot arms. Rule 3.a states that "The Arm is not restricted to these dimensions during the run". So, it should be legal if the robot base crosses the 30 x 30 square during the run, so long as it isn't touching the floor, correct? It's not any different than the actual arm crossing the square.
Yes, that's legal and within the spirit of the rules (however this is not the place for official clarifications, etc etc ;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
JennMichaels
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by JennMichaels »

Does anyone know if the robot can be tethered to the base or does it have to be controlled remotely?
JennMichaels
State: PA

Post by JennMichaels »

I meant to say the remote can be tethered to the base with wires!>
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

JennMichaels wrote:I meant to say the remote can be tethered to the base with wires!>
It can be attached by wires, so long as the wires don't physically move the robot or base.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Anyone got tips for a claw design? The Vex kit has a custom claw, but it's awfully expensive ($9.99 for shipping?!). I've got a servo at the ready — just not sure how to design the pinchers.

http://www.vexrobotics.com/276-2212.html
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

Primate wrote:Anyone got tips for a claw design? The Vex kit has a custom claw, but it's awfully expensive ($9.99 for shipping?!). I've got a servo at the ready — just not sure how to design the pinchers.

And it's a little bigger than what you would need/want for this event.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Primate wrote:Anyone got tips for a claw design? The Vex kit has a custom claw, but it's awfully expensive ($9.99 for shipping?!). I've got a servo at the ready — just not sure how to design the pinchers.

I'm just buying a claw from Lynxmotion, I'd rather spend time fine tuning the rest of my design than spend that time building my own claw. There are plenty of claws out there, sparkfun, robotshop, etc all have them.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Agreed, starpug. Are you using an electromagnet, too? It seems rather superfluous if you've got a claw capable of picking up the batteries. Unless it's powerful to grab all the nails at once, I suppose.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Considering the fact that an electromagnet would probably end up counting as another motor, no I'm not planning on an electromagnet.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Return to “2012 Build Events”