Thanks!
SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

How are you guys studying for the diseases section of this event?
I'm new to this event, so I have no idea to what depth the tests go into the diseases. Can anybody help (of course you can, it's just you don't know whether you should answer to this guy who apparently is inside your mind :mrgreen: ).
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
Gillen
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by Gillen »

SciBomb97 wrote:How are you guys studying for the diseases section of this event?
I'm new to this event, so I have no idea to what depth the tests go into the diseases. Can anybody help (of course you can, it's just you don't know whether you should answer to this guy who apparently is inside your mind :mrgreen: ).
The main thing is matching the microbe with the disease it causes. I've also seen some symptoms, and some other stuff (like "How is Lyme disease transmitted?") As long as you know the microbes responsible and have a general knowledge of the diseases, you should be fine.
akatsuki9

Post by akatsuki9 »

I've also had some weird things like what disease can be caused by eating home-grown tomatoes...
Quoth the raven... "NEVERMORE"
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

akatsuki9 wrote:I've also had some weird things like what disease can be caused by eating home-grown tomatoes...
It could be referring to botulism, which is commonly a result of eating home-canned veggies. We had a similar question on yesterday's CLC invitational test.
The answer to one of our questions was apparently Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease, which isn't technically on the list... I hope they took Kuru, since that's what we wrote, and since they're so similar anyways.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
chia

Post by chia »

Sorry for the double post, but just had to say: this is my favorite thing ever. (Okay not really, but it is really cool and pretty useful for visualization!)
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
akatsuki9

Post by akatsuki9 »

Creutzfelt-Jacob is similar in certain ways to scrapie which WAS on the list... If you know one, you should automatically know the other.
Quoth the raven... "NEVERMORE"
kappakun

Post by kappakun »

chia wrote:Sorry for the double post, but just had to say: this is my favorite thing ever. (Okay not really, but it is really cool and pretty useful for visualization!)
Whoa, that is cool!
BTW, chia, how did you guys handle the "size range" question on the crystal lake central test? I feel like it's so arbitrary that different sources say different things...
chia

Post by chia »

kappakun wrote:
chia wrote:Sorry for the double post, but just had to say: this is my favorite thing ever. (Okay not really, but it is really cool and pretty useful for visualization!)
Whoa, that is cool!
BTW, chia, how did you guys handle the "size range" question on the crystal lake central test? I feel like it's so arbitrary that different sources say different things...
Eh, that was actually one of the things we did the worst on. Our ranges were pretty broad (eg. 10-100 micrometers) and we were sort of guesstimating (for some reason my parter and I are worst at the numbers parts of Scioly events, even though we're both dec at math), and we ended up missing three or four of them. You're right, though, that the ranges often vary from source to source.
Turns out we aced the diseases part, except for having Kuru instead of Creutzfeld-Jacob (we felt it was safer to write Kuru since it was the one actually on the list, though we knew both), and they took off a point since we had down Plasmodium instead of protist for malaria by force of habit (we were too specific :lol: ).
Also, the question about red tides? Our AP Bio teacher beat it into us that they are caused by dinoflaggelates, so again by force of habit we wrote that down, but it was asking for the letter from the above chart :|
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

This is incredibly helpful! I showed this to my IB Bio teacher and they flipped out :) thanks!
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

Return to “2012 Lab Events”