Mousetrap Vehicle B

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by illusionist »

You can do the whole axle if you want, but it's unnecessary. Just put tape around the areas that the string will actually wind onto. On our mousetrap from last year, it was about a two inch long area in the middle of the axle. Using less tape decreases weight.
mousetrapfury
Division: B
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Post by mousetrapfury »

Pauly_Rocks wrote:
illusionist wrote:
mousetrapfury wrote:What should you use other than sauter to attach the rod with the string to the mousetrap?
That's called a Pull Arm. The easiest way is to simply zip-tie it to the mousetrap and then maybe reinforce with hot glue. This is rather robust and also allows for easy removal if necessary.
I'm using some clamps...not exactly sure what they're called but they're U-shaped and then they go through some sort of holding device and are attached with washers... I used them to clamp the rod onto the arm of the mousetrap... I'll find out the name of the clamps, sorry I didn't know! :(
thanks for the help guys :D
scifipi
State: IL

Post by scifipi »

I need help making my car going the distance... I've read the wiki and so I've changed the lever arm's sizes. I made it lighter. What else can I try?
----------
~Amanda~
Mousetrap Vehicle, Experimental Design, Crime Busters, Mission Possible

Daniel Wright JHS in Illinois
(Division B)
SirBobo
State: CA

Post by SirBobo »

where did you place the mousetrap on your vehicle?
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
packer-backer91
Division: Grad

Post by packer-backer91 »

scifipi wrote:I need help making my car going the distance... I've read the wiki and so I've changed the lever arm's sizes. I made it lighter. What else can I try?
Check the amount of friction the string has while the arm is pulling, this was the problem with the one I had originally and because the string was subject to so much added resistance the vehicle had trouble traveling a few feet. You should also check how freely your wheels spin as well; a little lubrication on the axil may allow them to spin easier allowing for a greater speed thus allowing for more distance. The "tread" material for the wheel may be too effective and providing too much friction with the ground or too little causing the wheels to slip on the ground causing the vehicle not go travel its maximum distance. How massive is your vehicle a mousetrap provides so little force that ~1lb is a good target weight if your vehicle is currently heavier than that.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
SirBobo

Post by SirBobo »

Is it okay if your mousetrap is all the way the down but the car is still moving?

Image Image
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

SirBobo wrote:Is it okay if your mousetrap is all the way the down but the car is still moving?

General Rule #2 probably applies here: http://soinc.org/ethics_rules

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
SirBobo

Post by SirBobo »

I am doing the wingnut braking system and I am wondering is the threaded axle in the front of the back?

Image Image
illusionist
Division: C

Post by illusionist »

SirBobo wrote:I am doing the wingnut braking system and I am wondering is the threaded axle in the front of the back?
Well, it would be easier to have it on the axle that is not being powered by the mousetrap. Other than that, the only issue is skidding. These vehicles are usually very light, so skidding isn't a huge issue. I don't think performance will be hugely impacted by which axle is powered and which one is braking. Others might have different opinions (feel free to comment).
Gemma W
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

illusionist wrote:
SirBobo wrote:I am doing the wingnut braking system and I am wondering is the threaded axle in the front of the back?
Well, it would be easier to have it on the axle that is not being powered by the mousetrap. Other than that, the only issue is skidding. These vehicles are usually very light, so skidding isn't a huge issue. I don't think performance will be hugely impacted by which axle is powered and which one is braking. Others might have different opinions (feel free to comment).
If you use the frount axle to break the car then the momentum may cause the back axle to rise up, whereas if the back axle is breaking then the frount axle will merely be moving foward and not jump. :idea:
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI

Return to “2012 Build Events”