Pauly_Rocks
Division: B
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by Pauly_Rocks »

SirBobo wrote:
Pauly_Rocks wrote:Anyone have any ideas on how to make the vehicles go faster without making it lighter? My car was averaging about 20 sec. per run today which is really slow, although it might just be that I needed a new mousetrap to put on, the one I was using was pretty old. Any suggestions? ;) thanks
Why wouldn't you want it lighter?
I would want it lighter, but my vehicle is so light already that I don't think I could make it lighter without redesigning the vehicle. At this point, the last thing I want to do is rebuild. States for us is in a month! I can't believe it, I'm scared! :?
Been there.
Done that.

Events I've been on: Elevated Bridge (1 yr.), Ornithology (2 yr.), Battery Buggy (2 yr.), Optics (2 yr.), Mousetrap Vehicle (1 yr.), Awesome Aquifers (1 yr.)

Rawr.
qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa
State: NY

Post by qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa »

What material is your vehicle made out of? my vehicle was really slow, so we had to take it apart and substitute the heavier parts with lighter versions.
Pauly_Rocks

Post by Pauly_Rocks »

qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa wrote:What material is your vehicle made out of? my vehicle was really slow, so we had to take it apart and substitute the heavier parts with lighter versions.
I have mine made out of wood. It's not a solid block though, it is just a frame. A few of the materials I may be able to substitute would be the pull arm, or maybe take 2 of the CDs off (I doubled up the front wheels). Speaking of which, do you know if having a double-wheel in the front or back effects how straight the vehicle might go? I thought it might help to make it go straighter but it might just be a little extra weight I could take off.
Been there.
Done that.

Events I've been on: Elevated Bridge (1 yr.), Ornithology (2 yr.), Battery Buggy (2 yr.), Optics (2 yr.), Mousetrap Vehicle (1 yr.), Awesome Aquifers (1 yr.)

Rawr.
StrongWind
State: CA

Post by StrongWind »

I am getting my vehicle to go 9 seconds. What are your times?
86F3TDNR
State: OH

Post by 86F3TDNR »

StrongWind wrote:I am getting my vehicle to go 9 seconds. What are your times?
I've seen that most vehicles that win are somewhere between 7-10 seconds (of course, accuracy matters a lot too). What would you guys consider a 'good' time?
qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa
State: NY

Post by qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa »

86F3TDNR wrote:
I've seen that most vehicles that win are somewhere between 7-10 seconds (of course, accuracy matters a lot too). What would you guys consider a 'good' time?
My vehicle is around 10 seconds, but were going to make it faster before states. At on invitational, the winning team had a score around 60... :shock:
SirBobo
State: CA

Post by SirBobo »

86F3TDNR wrote:
A good time is the shortest time you can get that is possible and it needs to be consistent.

EDIT: i realized that i didn't answer your question. For a car with a wood chassis, 8-11 would be a good target
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
mtheleman
State: KS

Post by mtheleman »

Pauly_Rocks wrote:Anyone have any ideas on how to make the vehicles go faster without making it lighter? My car was averaging about 20 sec. per run today which is really slow, although it might just be that I needed a new mousetrap to put on, the one I was using was pretty old. Any suggestions? ;) thanks
I would check to see if your wheels spin freely. There may be friction that you can remove. Also, the location of the mousetrap and the length of the arm can change speeds. You may try setting your vehicle up with a little bit of slack in the string so the mousetrap moves the arm a little bit before it moves the vehicle.
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.
mousetrapfury
State: NC

Mousetrap Vehicle Sighting

Post by mousetrapfury »

what is a good sighting device :?: really having trouble :D
Pauly_Rocks

Post by Pauly_Rocks »

Thanks for your suggestions. I made a few changes to the vehicle and got a different mousetrap, so it's going about 14 - 18 seconds now. :| Hopefully we'll get it better.
Been there.
Done that.

Rawr.

Return to “2012 Build Events”