Anatomy B/C

SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

Munchkin13 wrote:I am new to anatomy this year, and I am doing the digestive half of this years test (my partner is doing the respiratory). I was wondering what I should know to do well in this event. Also what do you recommend I put on the cheat sheet and what I should know for sure for the test. Thanks.
First of all, if you haven't already, I suggest you look over the stuff in the anatomy wiki. It outlines the basics. Also, try http://www.soinc.org/anatomy_b, the 2012 training handout covers what you'll need to know.
You should focus mainly on the different organs of the digestive system, what their functions are, and their histology. Especially for the stomach, liver, and pancreas, you should also focus some on the physiology, like the different secretions of each (i.e. cholecystokinin) and what their functions are.
I suggest you put a chart of the different hormones and enzymes associated with the digestive system, what their functions are, and where they are produced, on your resource sheet. I also recommend putting facts about the diseases (short description, causes, risk factors, symptoms, treatment) on the sheet too. A section on volcabulary won't hurt either.

Hope this helps. :D
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
KittenPsychology
Division: B

Post by KittenPsychology »

Hypothetically, on a test, they ask a question such as "If someone loses their voice, what is the best treatment for them?" What would you answer that with?
Hello, I'm John.

Sherlock (after doing something in reverse): Reverse pyschology!
Me: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Lestrade: Inconcievable!
Sherlock: I know what it means, I just like saying it.
Mrs. Hudson: You guys are awesome!
Annlie
State: CA

Post by Annlie »

Does anyone know exactly what we need to know for GFR calculation? Does anyone know how to calculate GFR?
rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 »

KittenPsychology wrote:Hypothetically, on a test, they ask a question such as "If someone loses their voice, what is the best treatment for them?" What would you answer that with?
I doubt that they would ask that because losing one's voice isn't a direct result of any of the diseases we need to know (COPD, asthma, emphysema, pneumonia, sleep apnea and cystic fibrosis).
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

rkoopma2 wrote:
KittenPsychology wrote:Hypothetically, on a test, they ask a question such as "If someone loses their voice, what is the best treatment for them?" What would you answer that with?
I doubt that they would ask that because losing one's voice isn't a direct result of any of the diseases we need to know (COPD, asthma, emphysema, pneumonia, sleep apnea and cystic fibrosis).
And even if it were, treatment of respiratory disorders is a Nationals-only topic.
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

Annlie wrote:Does anyone know exactly what we need to know for GFR calculation? Does anyone know how to calculate GFR?
GFR [glomerular filtration rate] is the rate at which the glomerulus filters solutes and water from the blood. It is usually expressed as volume per time, most often mL/min. It is measured by measuring the amount of a solute that is freely filtered, and neither reabsorbed nor secreted in both the urine and the blood stream. If the GFR is low, it can be a sign of renal failure.

It is calculated by GFR= (urine concentration x urine flow)/ plasma concentration.
The urine flow is the volume of urine collected over time.

It can also be measured using radioactive isotopes or inulin. [NOT insulin!] However, the typical method is using the creatinine clearance, which uses creatinine for the solute. Due to the fact that it is minimally secreted, this can result in an overestimation of 10-20%, but considering the ease of this procedure, it is considered acceptable. Typically, the urine is collected for 24 hours to determine the amount of creatinine removed from the blood over that time.

I don't know how much of this you may need beyond a basic understanding, as I have seen some tests that were fairly basic and some that were ridiculously in-depth with the questions on physiology, but I hope this helps!
Alternatively, you can consider that if one removes 1440 mg in 24 hours, that is equal to 1 mg/minute. If the blood concentration is 0.01 mg/mL, then 100 mL/min of blood is being cleared, since, to get 1 mg of creatinine, 100 mL of blood containing 0.01 mg/mL would need to have been cleared.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
AzureWotan

Post by AzureWotan »

Hey, this is my final event. Im all alone, and I havent started my notes yet. Any tips?
Like what should go on the notes, what to memorize, etc
The arcana is the means by which all is revealed. One of life's greatest blessings is the freedom to pursue one's goal. -Nyx Avatar
2012: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Anatomy
Division C
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

To be honest, you should have started studying long before now. But let’s forget about that for a second and focus on what you need to do. Since I’m in Div B, I can’t tell you anything about the excretory system; however, that closely follows the digestive system, so that shouldn’t be too big of an issue.
For the respiratory, know the path of airflow, the different kinds of breathing, the histology of…well, everything, capillary diffusion, pulmonary pressures, the gas laws, the muscles that control breathing…etc., etc.
For the digestive, know the GI tract, the histology, the layers of muscle, the different hormones and chemicals, what cells secrete what which cause what other cells to secrete what that triggers what, chloride shift…
Just, you know, get a textbook and read through the systems. Yes, all of it. And take notes. Then make your sheet. Also, when your competition is decides for you how much time you get on all this.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
rkoopma2

Post by rkoopma2 »

AzureWotan wrote:Hey, this is my final event. I'm all alone, and I haven't started my notes yet. Any tips?
For the Excretory system you should know the anatomy of the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra, parts and function of the nephrons. Steps of urine formation. plus the diseases and disorders on the rules.
Also, when your competition is decides for you how much time you get on all this.
Michigan regionals aren't until mid-march or later, so you'll have some time.
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan
SciBomb97

Post by SciBomb97 »

rkoopma2 wrote:
AzureWotan wrote:Hey, this is my final event. I'm all alone, and I haven't started my notes yet. Any tips?
For the Excretory system you should know the anatomy of the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra, parts and function of the nephrons. Steps of urine formation. plus the diseases and disorders on the rules.
Also, when your competition is decides for you how much time you get on all this.
Michigan regionals aren't until mid-march or later, so you'll have some time.
That is still going to be a very humongous handful of things to study, assuming that you're looking to do well. Good luck! :D
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

Return to “2012 Study Events”