SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 »

MicroLover wrote:What kind of source are you using to study for this event? I recently bought "Epidemiology 4th e/d by Leon Gordis" textbook and had been studying it to prepare for the state-level test. I am wondering if reading whole epidemiology textbook is quite necessary to win?
Also wiil you tell me any online websites you are using to study for this event?
yes. thats what I did last year and I won in my state
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan
EpicFailure
State: WI

Post by EpicFailure »

rkoopma2 wrote:
MicroLover wrote:What kind of source are you using to study for this event? I recently bought "Epidemiology 4th e/d by Leon Gordis" textbook and had been studying it to prepare for the state-level test. I am wondering if reading whole epidemiology textbook is quite necessary to win?
Also wiil you tell me any online websites you are using to study for this event?
yes. thats what I did last year and I won in my state
For us, most of the practice we had was from tests found on the internet. Just searching ["disease detectives" test] can give you a couple of good links such as the EXCITE website and this one. We also read through some of the CDC articles on the most common foodborne illnesses e.g. Salmonella, Campylobacter, Listeria. Past National tests, if you can get hold of them, provide really good practice for all competition levels.
rkoopma2

Post by rkoopma2 »

A test I recently took referred to ecologic relations, does anyone know if this is referring to ecologic studies?
2012 state Events

Chikuwa
State: NY

Post by Chikuwa »

rkoopma2 wrote:A test I recently took referred to ecologic relations, does anyone know if this is referring to ecologic studies?
Yes, I believe so.
Looking at the training handout, it states that correlative studies "correlate general characteristics of the population with health problem frequency with several groups during the same period of time". Ecologic relations are a type of correlative study that correlates "relative to specific ecologic factors as diet".
pabalan
State: CA

Post by pabalan »

hello. can anyone give any helpful insight as to what sort of information is sensible to have on the singular page of notes we're allowed to take into the event? I've heard many ideas and also have a general idea myself as to what include on there, but i was just wondering what you guys regarded as helpful / what has particularly helped you in the past. thank you :)
rkoopma2

Post by rkoopma2 »

pabalan wrote:hello. can anyone give any helpful insight as to what sort of information is sensible to have on the singular page of notes we're allowed to take into the event? I've heard many ideas and also have a general idea myself as to what include on there, but i was just wondering what you guys regarded as helpful / what has particularly helped you in the past. thank you :)
10 steps of outbreak investigation
Hills criteria
Koch's postulates
Terms
Types of studies
Info on common (or famous) food-borne illnesses
2012 state Events

eta150
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

pabalan wrote:hello. can anyone give any helpful insight as to what sort of information is sensible to have on the singular page of notes we're allowed to take into the event? I've heard many ideas and also have a general idea myself as to what include on there, but i was just wondering what you guys regarded as helpful / what has particularly helped you in the past. thank you :)
Any tricky vocab, disease information, or measurements that you might have trouble remembering are a good start. I try to use 100% of both sides of the paper, with at least some semblance of an organizational system.
#ACESWILD
piisamazing
State: NM

Post by piisamazing »

do not waste any space. graphs that show modes of transmission, tables of diseases, symptoms, mode of transmission, 10 steps of an investigation outbreak. also, if you have extra space, microbe mission info can be good extra stuff
My common sense is the voice in the back of my head named Donald
Because no one listens to anyone named Donald???
EXACTLY!!!

Nemo spelt backwards is OMEN!!!!!
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
smartcookie
Division: B

Post by smartcookie »

Did any one get the answer key for Hudson invitational Disease Detectives? I just wondered, because I didn't. THANKS!!!

Return to “2012 Study Events”