Optics B/C

SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

piisamazing wrote:on your equations sheets, which equations are you including? i already have my basics, and i wondered if i should also include thick lense equations to complement the lense makers equation
Do you have the doppler shift equation?
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
piisamazing
State: NM

Post by piisamazing »

SciBomb97 wrote:
piisamazing wrote:on your equations sheets, which equations are you including? i already have my basics, and i wondered if i should also include thick lense equations to complement the lense makers equation
Yep
check out google today! it goes right along with optics! i thought it was the greatest thing
My common sense is the voice in the back of my head named Donald
Because no one listens to anyone named Donald???
EXACTLY!!!

Nemo spelt backwards is OMEN!!!!!
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

SciBomb97 wrote:
I added the focal length equations for microscope, telescope, etc. I also just added the inverse sqaure law.
Besides those, I just have the basic equations you learn in a high school physics class.

Anything else I should include?
What constants are there?
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

cngu23 wrote:
SciBomb97 wrote:
I added the focal length equations for microscope, telescope, etc. I also just added the inverse sqaure law.
Besides those, I just have the basic equations you learn in a high school physics class.

Anything else I should include?
What constants are there?
I think the only constants are Planck's constant and the speed of light. Don't know of any others, or I can't think of them right now...
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

SciBomb97 wrote:I think the only constants are Planck's constant and the speed of light. Don't know of any others, or I can't think of them right now...
Units of measurement (lumens, watts, etc) are one of the possible topics for C division this year, so I would include some conversions.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

foreverphysics wrote:You should probably start making your own templates...on the previous page, there were lists of programs different people used, like GSP, Asymptote, etc., etc. Just do the laser shoot as accurately as possible. Protractors help.
You’re not going to be at the Auburn Regionals, are you?

Seriously, can anyone help with the math?
You definitely DO NOT need to know how to do that math you posted, especially in B division. I could explain what each of those equations might be used for, if you'd like, but I can almost guarantee that no math beyond basic trigonometry and algebra is needed for this event.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
DivineBbbbbeast
State: OH

Post by DivineBbbbbeast »

Dr. Chalker, in the case that the laser beam gets split, what is the policy on which beam will be taken? I heard it was the brightest beam last year, but one competition I attended counted it as a miss because only one beam hit next to the target. can this question be resolved as soon as possible before regionals? Thanks
Solon High School Class of 2014
Vanderbilt University Class of 2018

2012 Nats: 1st Thermodynamics, 7th Fermi Questions, 28th LoLptics
2013 Nats: 2nd Thermodynamics, 8th Remote Sensing, 9th Fermi Questions
2014 Moral Support :P
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

DivineBbbbbeast wrote:Dr. Chalker, in the case that the laser beam gets split, what is the policy on which beam will be taken? I heard it was the brightest beam last year, but one competition I attended counted it as a miss because only one beam hit next to the target. can this question be resolved as soon as possible before regionals? Thanks

Unofficially, I'd think the brightest beam should be the one that matters. Does this happen that often in competition? I've never seen it in all the times I've run that event. I have seen an occasional diffraction pattern due to grazing the corner of the mirror, but that's a much different thing and easy to see where the center of the pattern is.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Osennecho
State: PA

Post by Osennecho »

Unofficially, I'd think the brightest beam should be the one that matters. Does this happen that often in competition? I've never seen it in all the times I've run that event. I have seen an occasional diffraction pattern due to grazing the corner of the mirror, but that's a much different thing and easy to see where the center of the pattern is.[/quote]

It happens surprisingly often. For my team between last year and this (counting several invitationals), we have split the laser a total of 4 times that I can remember. One being at states :roll: Thankfully they went with the brightest beam there and two of the other times. The only remaining one, they couldn't tell which was brighter and essentially made a right triangle between both endpoints of the laser and took the hypotenuse as the distance from the center point (the height was the distance to the center line and other length was the distance between endpoints of the laser).
2012 Events: (Regionals, States, Nationals); N/A=conflict
Astronomy (6th, 7th, 16th)
Dynamic Planet (N/A, N/A, 11th)
Optics (2nd, 3rd, 5th)
Remote Sensing (N/A, 5th, 47th)

Team Overall (3rd, 2nd, 14th)
It's been a life changing 6 year experience.
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

piisamazing wrote:
SciBomb97 wrote:
Yep
check out google today! it goes right along with optics! i thought it was the greatest thing
Which doppler shift equation did you include?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Return to “2012 Lab Events”