Elevated Bridge B/C

croman74
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elevated Bridge 2009

Post by croman74 »

Wow, 1000's good. I've only built 2, but my best is 617.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

Wow, that is amazing. I built 7 so far and I dunno how many parts of the bridges. My second highest ratio is 650. Before that, I was failing so bad with a 450 ratio bridge. Up to my 5th bridge, my ratio were all below 400. Just amazing that I nearly tripled my ratio from before. It was a lot of work and effort for my last bridges. Still wondering whether wood can be reused.
croman74

Post by croman74 »

My first bridge was around 350. My school's scioly starts late, so I haven't been able to build many bridges. :cry:
On your question about reusing wood, I'm not sure. You might be able to if the wood isn't split along the side. I don't know for a fact. :?: I say that you should just try it for one bridge and see how it does. You could save a ton of wood if you could reuse it.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by andrewwski »

Wouldn't recommend it. The wood weakens when subject to a load.
croman74

Post by croman74 »

andrewwski wrote:Wouldn't recommend it. The wood weakens when subject to a load.
That's true. It's a bummer that it can't stay the same. SOOOOOOOOO much money could be saved.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by nejanimb »

The problem with reusing wood is mostly that it has to be cut out. If you're using CA glue, you definitely can't rip it off and use it again, since the wood wouldn't break well, and you can't really reglue it in the same places since the glue has seeped in already and it won't be able to bond as well a second time. I'm sure testing does weaken the wood a bit, but what I've found is that when you build a bridge that holds, it'll usually continue to hold if you test it several more times, indicating that it hasn't weakened too too much in between.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

Wood+$$$ problem= you should definitely look into any companies near you to try and get a sponsorship. Look specifically for companies that deal with engineering. They love to shell out money for science olympiad. I hate when I have to buy all the supplies for building events...it takes quite a toll on my wallet after numerous experiments
Call me coach.
WrightStuffMonster
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AK

Post by WrightStuffMonster »

jazzy009 wrote:Wood+$$$ problem= you should definitely look into any companies near you to try and get a sponsorship. Look specifically for companies that deal with engineering. They love to shell out money for science olympiad. I hate when I have to buy all the supplies for building events...it takes quite a toll on my wallet after numerous experiments
Building events can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make them. Wood for bridges though does not have to be very expensive at all as long as you know how to strip your own pieces of larger sheets. $20 worth of wood, if selected intelligently (go through it with a scale and a flashlight to check density, stiffness, and grain), could make several bridges. If you live in the middle of no where (Eagle River Alaska for example) then you will invariably spend more money as you will probably be forced to order online which is expensive because you always have to order about 1000% more than you need as most of the wood they send you will be unusable anyway.
Image-Alaska
Eagle River High School Class 09
Nationals:
1st Wright Stuff Kansas 07
1st Robot Ramble Washington D.C. 08
Stanford University Class 2013
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

I'm having the same problem with cost. My partner is determined to use power tools and wood glue. We have gone through at least 30 sticks of balsa because of it. :( Sigh I'm having event issues...
SO stressed!
WrightStuffMonster
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AK

Post by WrightStuffMonster »

dudeincolorado wrote:I'm having the same problem with cost. My partner is determined to use power tools and wood glue. We have gone through at least 30 sticks of balsa because of it. :( Sigh I'm having event issues...
Unless you are using oak or really dense thick basswood there is no reason to be using power tools. It just wastes wood. The only powertool that might actually be useful here is a high quality table saw if you were trying to cut your own sheets of balsa which I dont really recommend (I have tried it...) Sharp razors that are replaced often are your friend when working with balsa. What power tools are you using now and how are you using them?
Image-Alaska
Eagle River High School Class 09
Nationals:
1st Wright Stuff Kansas 07
1st Robot Ramble Washington D.C. 08
Stanford University Class 2013

Return to “2009 Build Events”