Future Aviation Events

chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI
Has thanked: 0

Future Aviation Events

Post by chalker7 »

Specifically, Elastic Launch Glider. Here is a video of the equivalent in AMA to get an idea of what we're talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5iXgye- ... re=related
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
jander14indoor

Re: Future Aviation Events

Post by jander14indoor »

First question, while I'm thinking about it, I agree with the blunt tip on the fuse, but am worried a dime as the reference implies something 2D, where what I think we want is a hemisphere.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

jander14indoor wrote:First question, while I'm thinking about it, I agree with the blunt tip on the fuse, but am worried a dime as the reference implies something 2D, where what I think we want is a hemisphere.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
That's probably true. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have a suggestion for an easy way to measure hemispherical blunt tips? We used a 2L bottle cap for bottle rockets before (by saying the tip could not touch the flat surface if laid atop the end), but that would be way too big for these.
Hawaii State Director
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Perhaps a thimble? The bottle cap solution was pretty awesome by the way, it's both very accessible and works rather well!

Anyway, on the topic of student-made propellers, can you leave it open in the rules that teams may use a pre-built propeller as well? Putting myself in the shoes of a new team or inexperienced students, it would be rather difficult to build a custom propeller. I've done Wright Stuff/Helicopters for a while, so I would be absolutely excited about building my own propeller, but others might not.

Btw, do these gliders require more height or a larger environment than helicopters or planes?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

illusionist wrote:The bottle cap solution was pretty awesome by the way, it's both very accessible and works rather well!
Not to toot my own horn (but I will;), I came up with that idea in a total 'epiphany' moment...you would be amazed by the number of other things we were trying to put in the rules first and were struggling with... it's really hard to easily characterize something as being a certain level of 'blunt'.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
baker
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by baker »

chalker7 wrote:Specifically, Elastic Launch Glider. Here is a video of the equivalent in AMA to get an idea of what we're talking about.
Is this to be an indoor or an outdoor event as the video shows. If outside it is usually anywhere between -7 to 28 degrees F when NYS has their competitions.
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

baker wrote:
chalker7 wrote:Specifically, Elastic Launch Glider. Here is a video of the equivalent in AMA to get an idea of what we're talking about.
Is this to be an indoor or an outdoor event as the video shows. If outside it is usually anywhere between -7 to 28 degrees F when NYS has their competitions.
Definitely indoors. I just couldn't find a high quality video of the indoor equivalent (although I'm sure they exist somewhere)
Hawaii State Director
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

In order to withstand the force of launch, do the wings need to be solid balsa?

I know I should focus on this year, but just some initial questions pooped up.
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

illusionist wrote:In order to withstand the force of launch, do the wings need to be solid balsa?

I know I should focus on this year, but just some initial questions pooped up.
Lots of people have successfully made them out of foam (meat trays from the grocery store and the like)
Hawaii State Director
squiressci0
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by squiressci0 »

is there a picture somewhere to figure out what the launching device looks like and how/where it is attached to glider for launch? New to SO and been given this to enter as a trial in two weeks - where to start? :o

Return to “Helicopters C”