Bottle Rocket B

Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by Tramsarran »

Personally I'd say it's less likely for the rocket to catch an updraft than to have its flight disrupted by the wind, but I have very little experience to speak out of. BTW, where do you guys test the rockets? There's no safe place in NYC to do so, and I'm sure that's why the event doesn't run at Regionals.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
gmui
Division: B
State: NY

Post by gmui »

Our regional competition is tomorrow morning and I was wondering what the steps for competing are. Are we expected to fill the water bottles ourselves within the time allotted? Do we also mount the rocket on their launcher? Pull the trigger? I assume they will take care of all the timing...

Also, is it safe to assume that "Sparkling water" bottles are the same as carbonated? I.e. they will qualify for the competition?
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

gmui wrote:Our regional competition is tomorrow morning and I was wondering what the steps for competing are. Are we expected to fill the water bottles ourselves within the time allotted? Do we also mount the rocket on their launcher? Pull the trigger? I assume they will take care of all the timing...

Also, is it safe to assume that "Sparkling water" bottles are the same as carbonated? I.e. they will qualify for the competition?
I think you're supposed to do everything (fill the bottle, mount the bottle, pull the trigger, etc.) yourselves except for pressuring the rockets and taking the required measurements. Varies competition by competition though, so your regionals might be a little different from my description.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

gmui wrote: Also, is it safe to assume that "Sparkling water" bottles are the same as carbonated? I.e. they will qualify for the competition?
Yes, they should qualify.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
UnknownyMous
State: TX

Post by UnknownyMous »

If you want to make your bottle go REALLY high, and float down slowly, you SHOULD use a backslider. My competition was in February, and I got 4th. I honestly regret NOT using a backslider because that was what I was gonna do but in the end, decided not to. The people who one first place used a backslider and got around 15-20 sec. (estimating)
Bottle Rocket and Microbe Mission for 2012
Anatomy and Keep The Heat for 2013
Anatomy and Write It Do It for 2014
ls20817
State: MD

Post by ls20817 »

I need help incalculating the center of pressure. I've looked on-line. It doesn't translate well to a cone shaped nose cone. Any advice?
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

ls20817 wrote:I need help incalculating the center of pressure. I've looked on-line. It doesn't translate well to a cone shaped nose cone. Any advice?
Would something crude like holding it in front of a large fan and seeing where it balances work?
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

EDIT: Read that as Center of gravity, not pressure. My bad.
Last edited by fishman100 on March 13th, 2012, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
SOCoach

Post by SOCoach »

I am trying to help my kids prepare for bottle rocket in a few weeks - we have built and tested many rockets but our best time is right around 10 seconds.

We have used plastic flourecent light tubes for the nosecone . . approximately 3 feet . . 450 ml of water, 3 fins, 1 L bottle and the weight of the rocket ends up right around 120-130 grams. Our rockets tend to go fairly high, then fall backwards (straight down, the reverse of how they went up) for about half the height, then level out and backslide the rest of the way.

Are the teams that are getting 15+ seconds using paper nosecones? My kids are getting frustrated and I want to be able to help them but I am running out of ideas.
cnapun
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by cnapun »

ls20817 wrote:I need help incalculating the center of pressure. I've looked on-line. It doesn't translate well to a cone shaped nose cone. Any advice?
This website is awesome, given that you have a conventional design http://physics.gallaudet.edu/tools/rocketcop.html

Return to “2012 Build Events”