States sending two teams

JKrafsur
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: States sending two teams

Post by JKrafsur »

Luo wrote:Just today, soinc posted the Division B/C breakdown of last year's registration numbers at http://soinc.org/2012_national_tournament. The numbers you see are from 2011, but the page clarifies that they will be using 2012's numbers to determine which states get two teams this year. The page clearly states that "if your state received two invitations last year, there is no guarantee that will be the case this year." One thing that seems odd to me is that North Dakota got two Division C teams in 2011 but doesn't appear on that list. According to the paragraph at the bottom, this year's numbers will be released by approximately April 1st.

Apparently an ambassador team from Japan will be attending the Division C national tournament in addition to the 60 U.S. teams.
Ya the Tournament Site Basically Reiterated the same thing today, but they did say that team numbers WILL be posted April 1st
http://www.scienceolympiad2012.com/tour ... nationals/
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

Luo wrote:Just today, soinc posted the Division B/C breakdown of last year's registration numbers at http://soinc.org/2012_national_tournament. The numbers you see are from 2011, but the page clarifies that they will be using 2012's numbers to determine which states get two teams this year. The page clearly states that "if your state received two invitations last year, there is no guarantee that will be the case this year." One thing that seems odd to me is that North Dakota got two Division C teams in 2011 but doesn't appear on that list. According to the paragraph at the bottom, this year's numbers will be released by approximately April 1st.

Apparently an ambassador team from Japan will be attending the Division C national tournament in addition to the 60 U.S. teams.
So is the team going to actually compete? Or just be there?
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

tornado guy wrote:

So is the team going to actually compete? Or just be there?
I'm wondering too
my guess is that They'd compete but their scores wont affect the other teams
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

The Japanese Ambassadors team will compete in a very small number of events still to be determined. Their scores will not impact the rankings of the other 60 teams, nor will they officially receive any medals or anything. We'll probably tell them how they would have ranked in the events though if the scores were official.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

chalker wrote:The Japanese Ambassadors team will compete in a very small number of events still to be determined. Their scores will not impact the rankings of the other 60 teams, nor will they officially receive any medals or anything. We'll probably tell them how they would have ranked in the events though if the scores were official.
Wait so they're competing? :o

A guy I introduced to Science Olympiad last year is on one of the favorite teams to get that spot!

Luo knows him...or of him. :P
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Is there a preliminary list of states that may send two teams? It would be AWESOME to say that Auburn is sending three teams total to Nats.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

foreverphysics wrote:Is there a preliminary list of states that may send two teams? It would be AWESOME to say that Auburn is sending three teams total to Nats.
I'm almost 100% sure that each school is only allowed to send one team from their school to nationals. At least thats how it works in texas. 2 teams(A + B) to regionals - 1 team to state(State Team) - 2 teams form different schools nats
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

ptkid wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Is there a preliminary list of states that may send two teams? It would be AWESOME to say that Auburn is sending three teams total to Nats.
I'm almost 100% sure that each school is only allowed to send one team from their school to nationals. At least thats how it works in texas. 2 teams(A + B) to regionals - 1 team to state(State Team) - 2 teams form different schools nats
What Forever is saying to my understanding is that there is an Auburn Middle School and an Auburn Junior High that took 1st and 2nd in B division, and Auburn High School took 1st? in C division, so if Alabama gets two spots, all three of the schools will go to nationals.
Last edited by Schrodingerscat on March 10th, 2012, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

If you guys got second how would you send three teams to nats?
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

I believe they are releasing a relevant list sometime around April 1st, though someone more knowledgeable than I should verify that.

Return to “2012 Nationals”