Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Awesome Aquifers B

Post by mnstrviola »

Of course practicing and studying are (the most) important, but right before you enter the room I think it's better to just relax instead of cramming in notes and stuff like that.
Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Tramsarran »

Exactly. Stress will do much harm and no good. Above all else, enjoy yourself while doing your presentation. Maybe you don't have to know everything that you're doing, but if your works are powerful and confident enough to be remembered, you will be remembered more than just a number by the judges when you get a medal for it. That's what I really appreciate about Stations 3 and 4 of this event, because it is more than just sitting down and taking a test. Personally, (here's my opinion again), you have more control over how well you'll score in a presentation than in the tests or other building events.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
SirBobo
Division: B

Post by SirBobo »

If you see a term that you don't know, do you find yourself trying to act smart or just having fun with it?
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

First of all, I think eustress ties in here, and the nervousness actually helps you. I know I do a lot better at the actual competition than I do on practice tests. And yes, I also believe it's up to you to do well in the event, and you certainly have more control.

Also, if by "act smart" you mean that you use context clues and approach the term in a logical way, then yes, that is what I do. However, maintaining an aspect of humor is also important for the test.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
kittybug65
State: KS

Post by kittybug65 »

I've been having trouble studying lately. we are getting ready for state and i'm running out of resources that have new information. can anyone recommend some good resources?
"Knowledge is power" Francis Bacon

2012:Awesome Aquifers(1st), Forestry(2nd), Disease Detectives(8th), Mission Possible (8th)
2013: Forestry(1st), Mission Possible(2nd), Heredity(1st), Exp. Design(1st),Shock Value (3th)
kittybug65

Post by kittybug65 »

havenguy wrote:
kittybug65 wrote:We made it to state! barely though, we only placed in four events, but I was in all four! it was cool! witchita here we come!
Nice.

Anyway, I have a question. I'm pretty sure I've seen this on here before, but in which state are all aquifers contaminated? I have seen it on 2 tests this year...I'm thinking either New York or New Jersey, although one of the other options was Texas.
honestly, I have no idea! I've never seen anything like that on a test.

2012:Awesome Aquifers(1st), Forestry(2nd), Disease Detectives(8th), Mission Possible (8th)
2013: Forestry(1st), Mission Possible(2nd), Heredity(1st), Exp. Design(1st),Shock Value (3th)
kittybug65

Post by kittybug65 »

135scioly wrote:
The_Beast wrote:I have had several questions about remediation in station 4. I don't have any time to order charcoal....Is there any other way I can show this concept?
You don't need to order charcoal, just get it at a pet store in the fish aquarium area.

We always do remediation last, and we fake it. The judges always count it though. we stand there and say,"see how the water becomes clear," even though it is not. we will probably need to find a better technique for state though.

kittybug65

Post by kittybug65 »

mnstrviola wrote:What helped us in Aquifers with presenting was just acting silly right before the competition. We just acted weird in front of all the people who we were competing against and then we were pretty calm during the test. Also, don't be intimidated by the judge. Answer their questions with confidence, no "ummms". Even if you don't know what a concept is or how to answer a question just pretend like you know what you're talking about :D
Especially remember the no "ummms". it is better to pause and answer after a few seconds to think.

SirBobo

Post by SirBobo »

Today, I opened my Aquifers Box and out came a smell so stinky, I almost fainted. What would be causing this bad smell and have you encountered this before?
Quadruple Post Above Me ಠ▃ಠ
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Just a guess: mold? Did you leave water in there too long/not drain it out?
kittybug65 wrote:I've been having trouble studying lately. we are getting ready for state and i'm running out of resources that have new information. can anyone recommend some good resources?
Well, if you think you've mastered the basics (and I mean mastered) and streamlined your presentation, then the only place really to go is to more difficult sources to learn more. Books, online college notes, etc...

Return to “2012 Lab Events”