Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by harryk »

Dunno if the bottle is opaque or translucent so I'll do both scenarios, going clockwise from top left
Opaque: Black, Red, Black, Black, Black
Translucent: Black, Red, Red, Black, Red
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
zeusfuze
Division: C
State: MD

Post by zeusfuze »

The rules say something to the lines of "all reference materials must be kept in a three ring binder." Does that mean we can bring whatever reference materials we want? :)
Seracon
State: MN

Post by Seracon »

zeusfuze wrote:The rules say something to the lines of "all reference materials must be kept in a three ring binder." Does that mean we can bring whatever reference materials we want? :)
Yep, as long as they are 3-hole punched. While this means you can bring as many notes as you want, it's usually to your advantage if you keep it concise. Having a huge binder and having to flip through it takes up a ton of time; it's still better to know the material by heart.
MN Geologic Mapping Regional & State Coordinator
Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational Co-Chair (Div B)
http://sciolyumn.wordpress.com/about/
cngu23

Post by cngu23 »

Seracon wrote:
zeusfuze wrote:The rules say something to the lines of "all reference materials must be kept in a three ring binder." Does that mean we can bring whatever reference materials we want? :)
Yep, as long as they are 3-hole punched. While this means you can bring as many notes as you want, it's usually to your advantage if you keep it concise. Having a huge binder and having to flip through it takes up a ton of time; it's still better to know the material by heart.
Notes should be pretty concise and easy to read through. I have a sheet with what I hope are all the formulas we need to know, along with a few sheets describing parts of the eye, and color mixing.

For regionals, they didn't really check if everything was in a binder. I believe that a few teams just brought packets of reference materials clipped together.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
zeusfuze

Post by zeusfuze »

:D Awesome! I'm in 9th grade & this is my 1st year in Sci Oly. I haven't learned that much about optics (pretty much all I know is the angle of incidence equals the angle of refraction). :lol: Anway, that is really great news for me. 8-)
kenny567
Division: B
State: NY

Post by kenny567 »

Hi, I am doing optics for ny states. I was assighned to it after regionals. What do I do.
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

kenny567 wrote:Hi, I am doing optics for ny states. I was assighned to it after regionals. What do I do.
1. Read the rules so that you know what the event is about.
2. Read the wikiarticle for the event.
3. Practice the laser shoot.
4. Continue to work on the laser shoot and studying for the event.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Seracon
State: MN

Post by Seracon »

zeusfuze wrote::D Awesome! I'm in 9th grade & this is my 1st year in Sci Oly. I haven't learned that much about optics (pretty much all I know is the angle of incidence equals the angle of refraction). :lol: Anway, that is really great news for me. 8-)
Good luck! Optics is a ton of fun, and it's amazing to see how precise light can be!
Btw, it should be reflection, not refraction ;)
MN Geologic Mapping Regional & State Coordinator
Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational Co-Chair (Div B)
http://sciolyumn.wordpress.com/about/
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

kenny567 wrote:Hi, I am doing optics for ny states. I was assighned to it after regionals. What do I do.
I recommend you get your hands on some physics textbook. It doesn't have to be college level or anything, just something with all the basic concepts.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

There are a couple online at the soinc website. One is terribly basic, and the other is completely calculus based. I recommend that you start off with the easy one, and then go find some other textbook, and completely ignore the calculus one. There is this unspoken rule in scioly that you should not have calculus at competitions; therefore, you can ignore the calculus book.
Good luck! :)

Return to “2012 Lab Events”