Dynamic Planet B/C

Steelfoam
Division: C
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Steelfoam »

Did anyone here take the Wisconsin State Dynamic Planet Test?
2013 State,Nats: Disease (2,31) Dynamic (1,8) Forensics (1,4) Chem Lab (-,35)
(region, state, nats)
2012: Disease (1st, 9th,15th) Exp Des (1st,2nd, 21st) Protein (1st,1st,11th) Dynamic (1st,2nd, 21st) Forensics (1st, 6th, 2nd!!!)
2011 Nats: Crime 8th Exp 9th, Orni 11th, CJAP 18th, Disease 19, Dynamic 20
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

What is the boundary between saltwater and freshwater? On the wiki it says .2% salt concentration, but on some tests a 2% concentration would be considered "brackish". This is really confusing me. Is there a definite boundary or is it just like rivers/streams where there are only opinions on the differences between?
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

mnstrviola wrote:What is the boundary between saltwater and freshwater? On the wiki it says .2% salt concentration, but on some tests a 2% concentration would be considered "brackish". This is really confusing me. Is there a definite boundary or is it just like rivers/streams where there are only opinions on the differences between?
Yes, there are specific rules: fresh <0.5ppt, brackish 0.5-30ppt, saline 30-50ppt, brine >50ppt. Most seawater is rather brackish. (1ppt=1g/L)
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
Steelfoam
State: WI

Post by Steelfoam »

Is there a cutoff for the sinuosities of a straight - sinuous - or meandering river?
2013 State,Nats: Disease (2,31) Dynamic (1,8) Forensics (1,4) Chem Lab (-,35)
(region, state, nats)
2012: Disease (1st, 9th,15th) Exp Des (1st,2nd, 21st) Protein (1st,1st,11th) Dynamic (1st,2nd, 21st) Forensics (1st, 6th, 2nd!!!)
2011 Nats: Crime 8th Exp 9th, Orni 11th, CJAP 18th, Disease 19, Dynamic 20
FlyingMonkey85
Division: B
State: NY

Post by FlyingMonkey85 »

I believe that rivers with a sinuosity index of 1 to 1.5 the river are considered sinuous and those between 1.5 and 4 are meandering. (Wikipedia, Meanders). Straight rivers have a sinuosity index of 1 (I think).
"It's not denial, I'm just selective about the reality I accept" -Calvin
Tine
State: TX

Post by Tine »

FlyingMonkey85 wrote:I believe that rivers with a sinuosity index of 1 to 1.5 the river are considered sinuous and those between 1.5 and 4 are meandering. (Wikipedia, Meanders). Straight rivers have a sinuosity index of 1 (I think).
That's right.
FlyingMonkey85

Post by FlyingMonkey85 »

What part of the day is dissolved oxygen the highest? I am thinking before and during sunrise because that is the coldest part of the day. Can anyone verify this?
FlyingMonkey85

Post by FlyingMonkey85 »

Pardon me for double-posting, but I found the answer to my question by myself (because I was too impatient to do enough research first):

During the night, when photosynthesis cannot counterbalance the loss of oxygen through respiration and decomposition, DO concentration may steadily decline. It is lowest just before dawn, when photosynthesis resumes and highest in the middle of the day when photosynthesis is higher than respiration.
mnstrviola
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

Dynamic Planet at states was epic! It was formatted almost exactly like how it was at regionals, but with a little twist. It wasn't stations. It wasn't a test. It was stations AND a test. So you were given a multiple choice test (one I had taken from the Test Exchange, so I memorized the answers pretty much) that you had to do throughout all the stations. She recommended that you work on it when you have finished your station but everyone has not yet rotated. Questions I did not quite understand was identifying karst features found in caves (not just stalagmites and stalagtites, there were about 15 of them) and writing an essay on how an "entrenched meander" forms.
Fossil Freak 25
State: WA

Post by Fossil Freak 25 »

Ugh, WA state test was easy, but well written :-/
Go Cougs!

Return to “2012 Study Events”