Events You Wish Science Olympiad Had

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Events You Wish Science Olympiad Had

Post by mnstrviola »

An ultimate event with 5 people from each team in which questions from ALL the events can be asked. It would be run after all the other events, and spectators would be allowed. All teams will participate at the same time and scores would be broadcasted after each question. I'm not explaining it well, but I know they had something like this in the A Div. science olympiad.
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

Orange County, California Regionals has something similar to that, we call it Science Bowl. It's for entertainment while scores are coming out.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

I want Green Generation to become an actual event. Also, I want a small-scale weapon building event (other than STC). I once built a bow out of a protractor and a rubber band. I fired pencils :twisted:
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
French_Toast
Division: C
State: OH

Post by French_Toast »

Cheesy Pie wrote:I want Green Generation to become an actual event. Also, I want a small-scale weapon building event (other than STC). I once built a bow out of a protractor and a rubber band. I fired pencils :twisted:
I'm buying a protractor next time I'm at Walmart.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

Cryptozoology.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by sciencegeek999 »

Pentathlon should become a real event.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

sciencegeek999 wrote:Pentathlon should become a real event.
I know, right?
For the record, I actually really like Pentathlon, but most people don't.

Along the lines of weapons building, Firecracker C would be awesome. Teams research the best combination of compounds to make the color they need, and then teams shoot them off at competition! :D The reason THAT will never be an event or anything close is 'cause of the risk of blowing yourself up. That's probably why it's not done in chool, either.
skillfullparrot7
Division: B

Post by skillfullparrot7 »

This goes in with the balsa/bass building events.

Crane Building

Teams must construct a tower crane capable of supporting up to 15 kg of a load at the end of the jib. The crane will be fixed to the testing table. The tower must be at least 30 cm high, and the working jib must be at least 15 cm. Max height of the tower is 70 cm. The jib can be any length. Measurements for the length of the jib will be taken from the point on the jib furthest from the tower to the inside point of the tower (the point facing toward the load). Measurements of the tower will be taken from the testing surface to the highest point of the tower. The tower height may not exceed the height of the jib.
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

skillfullparrot7 wrote:This goes in with the balsa/bass building events.

Crane Building

Teams must construct a tower crane capable of supporting up to 15 kg of a load at the end of the jib. The crane will be fixed to the testing table. The tower must be at least 30 cm high, and the working jib must be at least 15 cm. Max height of the tower is 70 cm. The jib can be any length. Measurements for the length of the jib will be taken from the point on the jib furthest from the tower to the inside point of the tower (the point facing toward the load). Measurements of the tower will be taken from the testing surface to the highest point of the tower. The tower height may not exceed the height of the jib.
So basically combining tower and boomilever?
skillfullparrot7
Division: B

Post by skillfullparrot7 »

Schrodingerscat wrote:
skillfullparrot7 wrote:This goes in with the balsa/bass building events.

Crane Building

So basically combining tower and boomilever?
Sort of. I was aiming for an event that would take in height as well as length, except one or the other.
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."

Return to “General Competition”