Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where are you going for colleges?

Post by Infinity Flat »

French_Toast wrote:People who are familiar with CA, anyone have recommendations for schools to look into besides the obvious(Stanford, USC, UCLA, UC Berkeley). I've been thinking I wanna go to school out west, but I've hovered around a 3.3-3.4 GPA, so I probably won't get into the top schools.
Well most of the UC's are pretty good (Irvine, Davis, etc.) as are Harvey Mudd and the other Claremont Colleges. Outside of that, I can't really say.
In Washington state, University of Washington and Western Washington University are both pretty good.
The best school in Oregon is probably Reed College.
Also, take a look at CU: Boulder and the Colorado School of Mines, each in Colorado.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
RandomPerson
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: IN

Post by RandomPerson »

Infinity Flat wrote:
French_Toast wrote:People who are familiar with CA, anyone have recommendations for schools to look into besides the obvious(Stanford, USC, UCLA, UC Berkeley). I've been thinking I wanna go to school out west, but I've hovered around a 3.3-3.4 GPA, so I probably won't get into the top schools.
Well most of the UC's are pretty good (Irvine, Davis, etc.) as are Harvey Mudd and the other Claremont Colleges. Outside of that, I can't really say.
In Washington state, University of Washington and Western Washington University are both pretty good.
Also, take a look at CU: Boulder and the Colorado School of Mines, each in Colorado.
Yeah funny thing, I got into UC Irvine. And I didn't apply to UC Irvine.
A new era has begun
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

RandomPerson wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:
Berkeley's a great school. You seem like you'd have the ECs to make up for the GPA. (And it might not be /that/ west for you, but Chicago is a great school in the midwest :P )
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

RandomPerson wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:
Did you hear that UCLA sent out 900 acceptance letters to students who were actually on the waitlist? :?

And French_Toast, though GPA is important, there's no GPA cutoff. Most good schools have a holistic review of applications, meaning that they don't have a GPA or SAT or whatever cutoff - they'll read your application and evaluate you as a whole. :) Good luck!
Last edited by Kokonilly on April 22nd, 2012, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

Not to be a downer, but sometimes no matter how good your app looks, butterfly happens. Just remember that and don't be too disappointed.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
French_Toast
Division: C
State: OH

Post by French_Toast »

Kokonilly wrote:
And French_Toast, though GPA is important, there's no GPA cutoff. Most good schools have a holistic review of applications, meaning that they don't have a GPA or SAT or whatever cutoff - they'll read your application and evaluate you as a whole. :) Good luck!
I am aware of that, I still plan on putting applications in everywhere, but they are reach schools.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

So my summer vacation is set on visiting my top colleges on the east coast/through to Illinois. Starting up in Boston, then down into Connecticut, Over to Rochester, back to Pennsylvania, down to North Carolina potentially, and also out to University of Chicago for my last trip.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

49ers wrote:...University of Chicago for my last trip.
:D
Make sure to check out Mansueto - it's an awesome egg-shaped glass library!
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

quizbowl wrote:
49ers wrote:...University of Chicago for my last trip.
:D
Not only is it architecturally impressive, but it has an awesome system of robotic cranes used to retrieve books, so you don't need to make the effort of physically hunting down the books yourself!
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

Luo wrote:
quizbowl wrote::D
Not only is it architecturally impressive, but it has an awesome system of robotic cranes used to retrieve books, so you don't need to make the effort of physically hunting down the books yourself!
-sigh- Awesome architecture on campus and in the city, but they don't offer it as a major... :/
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

Return to “General Chat”