pihi
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by pihi »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
pihi wrote:Is it possible to be doing this event and taking Chem AP at the same time? Or would it be better to just wait one more year?
I did this event before taking AP Chem and while taking AP Chem, and the only thing I recommend is that if you haven't yet done a significant amount of lab work in your AP Chem class, ask your teacher to work with you outside of class on lab skills (based on the list in the rules, but also just general things like proper measuring procedures, how to use common equipment, etc). If you're 2/3 of the way through the class and you've been consistently doing labs in class, you'll probably be fine.

If you haven't gotten to the specific topics for this year's event in class yet, that should not be a problem as long as you can get the notes for those topics (or whatever materials your teacher uses) from your teacher in advance. The event isn't totally based on AP Chem, it just happens to have some significant overlap.
Actually, I'm taking AP Chem next year but I might just try the event this year to learn the basics.
2012: Astronomy, Forestry
CLIO: Astronomy - 4th, Forestry - 16
Regionals: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry - 4th Team - 2nd
States: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry...............18th :( Team - 13th (Best new school)

Only 365 more days til states!
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

pihi wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:
pihi wrote:Is it possible to be doing this event and taking Chem AP at the same time? Or would it be better to just wait one more year?
I did this event before taking AP Chem and while taking AP Chem, and the only thing I recommend is that if you haven't yet done a significant amount of lab work in your AP Chem class, ask your teacher to work with you outside of class on lab skills (based on the list in the rules, but also just general things like proper measuring procedures, how to use common equipment, etc). If you're 2/3 of the way through the class and you've been consistently doing labs in class, you'll probably be fine.

If you haven't gotten to the specific topics for this year's event in class yet, that should not be a problem as long as you can get the notes for those topics (or whatever materials your teacher uses) from your teacher in advance. The event isn't totally based on AP Chem, it just happens to have some significant overlap.
Actually, I'm taking AP Chem next year but I might just try the event this year to learn the basics.
Same advice still holds, but replace "your teacher" with "your school's AP Chem teacher" :-)
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
astroblue
State: WA

Post by astroblue »

Can anyone walk me through the steps to construct an activity series from a series of redox reactions? I'm kind of lost...
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

What are the best ways you found to practice balancing acid-base redox equations? I'm a bit rusty since the last time I did Chem Lab, and would appreciate some help here.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
XXGeneration
State: NJ

Post by XXGeneration »

Practice! Lots of practice.
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

Well, I meant resources. Obviously there's going to be a lot of practice..
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
XXGeneration

Post by XXGeneration »

Basically just balance a lot of redox reactions. Do easy ones, do hard ones, do everything. Find equations online, find equations in textbooks, past exams, anything. Really, it's just a memorization of the method and brute force practice.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

That reminds me, I was going to edit the wiki about balancing redox. I guess I'll do that now.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Mathc314

Post by Mathc314 »

Does anyone know what the topics for next year will be ? I would assume periodicity will stay, but does anyone know what lab-related topic will replace electro?

And about this year's nats event: that really was not a lab, was it? It was more of a speed chem event...

Anyways, help is appreciated.
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
XXGeneration

Post by XXGeneration »

I can only pray it's something more difficult than electrochem.. perhaps like equilibrium.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”